Where do I find Server name, and database name???

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
I am installing Nopcommerce on my laptop, through VS. Where do I find Server name and database name?? Is this the link to the SQL Server 2012 I have installed, or something else?? Can't make sense of this.. Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.
3 years ago
When you first run the nopCommerce site (whether no-source, or source via VS), you are prompted for the SQL Server name and database.  Yes, it's your SQL Server (2012 or above).    You should have a tools like SSMS so that you can first test the connection to your DB server.   You may also want to create the database in SSMS (and during install leave the default 'create database if it does not exist' unselected).  Doing so will ensure you won't have any DB permission problems during the install.
3 years ago
I'm a NOPcommerce rookie. For development & testing I've downloaded onto a laptop and plan to use SQL Server. However, each time I've tried the initial NOPcommerce install, I either get "database does not exist or you don't have permissions" or "..... error 26....". I don't believe it is to do with permissions. Seems more a case of me not using the correct server name. I've used the Server name shown in the connection properties on SSMS.  I'm also using the integrated windows authentication for this.
It's such a simple issue, I can't believe this is beating me, however no matter what I put into the Server name, the result is the same.
Can anyone please help.
Note: I previously created the Database I plan to use in SSMS.
P.S. I'm also using Visual Studio 2019
3 years ago
Let's first verify local connection....
In SSMS, connect to the server using Windows Authentication.
In object explorer, right-click the DB you say already exists, and click 'New query'.  Then create and drop sample table:
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Table_1](
  [x] [nvarchar](50) NULL
)
GO

DROP TABLE [dbo].[Table_1]
GO

All good?
Run the app in Visual Studio.  At install page, in 'Database information' section enter
SQL Server name:  localhost
Database name:  use the DB name you used in SSMS
Select "Use integrated Windows authentication"

How'd it go?
3 years ago
Cheers mate.
That worked a treat. Greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.