Docker Questions

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
Greetings NopCommerce Community, hope you are well.

During my studies of becoming NopCommerce Certified, I noticed in the documentation that Docker is used.   Today, I spent some time reading on Docker and watched a few videos, but I need some clarification how it used currently.   It does look valuable as well as interesting.  My experience in NopCommerce has always used Visual Studio to build the projects.   Then after that, copy the necessary files to a server so it NopCommerce can run.

It looks like from my basic understanding, that Docker is used to build and simplify deployments that can run on any platform.  It also looks like Docker is similar compared to GitHub.   Both have repos and can speed up deployment since you can select the components or containers to create the build.

If I could get some members to explain Docker further, how they use as well as pointers, etc. that would be great.

Hoping to become certified soon and a NopCommerce Partner.

Thanks and GOD Bless

RgtDev

Just have a few questions concerning Docker since I never used it.   I am studying to get my NopCommerce Certification as well become a NopCommerce Partner soon so I want to learn all I can

Hope you are well and healthy.
3 years ago
Greetings NopCommerce Community, hope you are well.

During my studies of becoming NopCommerce Certified, I noticed in the documentation that Docker is used.   Today, I spent some time reading on Docker and watched a few videos, but I need some clarification how it used currently.   It does look valuable as well as interesting.  My experience in NopCommerce has always used Visual Studio to build the projects.   Then after that, copy the necessary files to a server so it NopCommerce can run.

It looks like from my basic understanding, that Docker is used to build and simplify deployments that can run on any platform.  It also looks like Docker is similar compared to GitHub Actions.   Both have repos and can speed up deployment since you can select the components or containers to create the build.

If I could get some members to explain Docker further, how they use it as well as pointers, etc. that would be great.

Hoping to become certified soon and a NopCommerce Partner.

Thanks and GOD Bless
3 years ago
Hi rgtDev,

This is all theoretical as I have not used docker in production, but for me ..

Docker solves challenges for portability, but more so about scalability.

Portability - Many public cloud providers offer docker infrastructure.  You can bundle your Nop  docker Container (your published web app effectively), and can chose to deploy it anywhere that hosts docker. This gives great flexibility in respect of disaster recovery. Quickly fail over  to alternate docker cloud provider (don't have all eggs in one basket).

Scalability - in the docker world, there are orchestration systems to allow auto-scale of your application. For example. Your nop website generally has average traffic. So can run comfortably with say 3 instances of you web application sharing the request load. But, you have a huge sales promotion. Docker Orchestration can monitor increased traffic load and  automatically scale-up the number of running instances (containers) of Nop, and increasing your compute power. (web server farm) And likewise scale back when resources are not required.

Compute density - A docker container is everything bundled you need to run your web app, but  is NOT a virtual machine at the operating system level. Each instance does not contain virtual hardware not contain a full  operating system. Therefor is much more portable to migrate, and many more containers can be run on hardware compared to VM architecture such as VMware or Hyper-V.  Will increased compute density per hardware, cloud providers cost should in theory be cheaper than renting virtual machines by the minute.

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Jon
3 years ago
Thanks JonQuick for the in-depth response!   These gives me more of understanding of how to use Docker.

GOD Bless and stay well.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.