Linux vs Windows Hosting / MySQL vs SQL

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 years ago
Hey Guys ,

I was looking for my options when it comes to hosting and I would like to ask if there is any differences between nopCommerce for linux vs windows and at the same time choosing SQL vs MySQL when it comes to :

- Performance
- features
- capabilities

Assuming I have 2 VCPU and 2GB Ram while having around 1000 products only . It would really help me to get some technical insight
3 years ago
Hey FBallan,

No one has any real comparative performance testing data right (that ive seen) now but its suggested Linux may be a bit faster due to smaller OS overhead etc.

with 1000 product catalogue I would expect MS SQL (Express) and My SQL (Community) to be like for like. with a bigger catalog MS SQL (Express) could hit the 1GB Memory Ceiling

as reference - heres Nop 4.3 with the demo store, running on Linux Debian, MySQL 8 - this is a VPS with 2 core, 4GB Ram http://nopstuff.jonquick.me

If your a windows person, the windows deployment will be easier to setup and maintain

fballan wrote:
Hey Guys ,

I was looking for my options when it comes to hosting and I would like to ask if there is any differences between nopCommerce for linux vs windows and at the same time choosing SQL vs MySQL when it comes to :

- Performance
- features
- capabilities

Assuming I have 2 VCPU and 2GB Ram while having around 1000 products only . It would really help me to get some technical insight
3 years ago
JonQuick wrote:
Hey FBallan,

No one has any real comparative performance testing data right (that ive seen) now but its suggested Linux may be a bit faster due to smaller OS overhead etc.

with 1000 product catalogue I would expect MS SQL (Express) and My SQL (Community) to be like for like. with a bigger catalog MS SQL (Express) could hit the 1GB Memory Ceiling

as reference - heres Nop 4.3 with the demo store, running on Linux Debian, MySQL 8 - this is a VPS with 2 core, 4GB Ram http://nopstuff.jonquick.me

If your a windows person, the windows deployment will be easier to setup and maintain

Hey Guys ,

- Performance
- features
- capabilities

Thank you so much for your answer . It would be really nice if we can have an official confirmation from the team though and
Yeah theoretically Linux will have much lower overhead . But i was just curious if i would loose any functionality by this . Also i was Trying to try cheap hosting options and any good hosting option like A2 or hostinger do provide way cheaper plans when hosting on Linux that’s why .
3 years ago
There are no functional/features differences that I am aware of.  Its the same .Net Core codebase on Win and Linux.

A few 3rd party plugin vendors are still working on making their products compatible with  MySQL on nop 4.3

fballan wrote:
Hey FBallan,

Hey Guys ,

- Performance
- features
- capabilities

Thank you so much for your answer . It would be really nice if we can have an official confirmation from the team though and
Yeah theoretically Linux will have much lower overhead . But i was just curious if i would loose any functionality by this . Also i was Trying to try cheap hosting options and any good hosting option like A2 or hostinger do provide way cheaper plans when hosting on Linux that’s why .
3 years ago
Hi dear friends, do you have ping or ram-cpu performance test for iis(Windows) vs apache2(ubuntu) or nginx(ubuntu)? What are you think about Ubuntu sql server vs Windows sql server?

.Netcore 3.1 is good with iis or apache2?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.