Is it safe to change NopCommerce layout and components markup ? Will it cause a problem later on updating NopCommerce?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
2 years ago
Basically I need to change the look and feel of a NopCommerce application, and I have created a separate theme folder and can do my CSS changes there. But there's only so much you can do with CSS. At some point I'll need to update html to make it look like the way I want.

So what I am concerned about is that if I change the layout and individual pages html to make the site look like how I want, what will happen if later I have to upgrade NopCommerce version, will my markup changes break or is it not a problem.

I have seen NopCommerce themes and it looks like they have updated the markup but I am not sure if its right to do it.
2 years ago
If you change the core then that’s what you are doing. Any changes made will need to be manually reintegrated into a upgraded version i.e. when a new version comes it does not overwrite an existing version or integrate itself in anyway – there is a new complete version

That is the benefit of a Theme - by default the system will search the Theme folder first and if it finds a new markup then it will use that instead of the standard one in the core
So any .cshtml pages you want to change you can take a copy of the core file and put it in the theme folder in the same logical structure make the changes to that file

Another way is to make a plugin and then use a Customer View Engine which will load the .cshtml files from the plugin rather than the files from the Theme or from the Core

Using either the Theme or Plugin option means your changes are all collected together. They still may need to be updated if a new version comes a long but the process is made easier and more manageable. Or maybe your changes will still work with a new version and all you need to do is copy the Theme or reinstall the plugin in the new version.
2 years ago
Yidna wrote:
If you change the core then that’s what you are doing. Any changes made will need to be manually reintegrated into a upgraded version i.e. when a new version comes it does not overwrite an existing version or integrate itself in anyway – there is a new complete version

That is the benefit of a Theme - by default the system will search the Theme folder first and if it finds a new markup then it will use that instead of the standard one in the core
So any .cshtml pages you want to change you can take a copy of the core file and put it in the theme folder in the same logical structure make the changes to that file

Another way is to make a plugin and then use a Customer View Engine which will load the .cshtml files from the plugin rather than the files from the Theme or from the Core

Using either the Theme or Plugin option means your changes are all collected together. They still may need to be updated if a new version comes a long but the process is made easier and more manageable. Or maybe your changes will still work with a new version and all you need to do is copy the Theme or reinstall the plugin in the new version.

Thanks I didn't knew that I could copy the markup file in my theme folder and do the updates, it seems like a good way to update markup. Can you please share a guide or documentation link where this is mentioned.
2 years ago
Here are a couple of links i found when searching google
https://docs.nopcommerce.com/en/developer/design/new-theme.html
https://www.nopcommerce.com/en/boards/topic/41919/beginners-guide-to-nopcommerce-theme-development
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.