Newbie Curiosity

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
2 anos atrás
I am new to ASP.NET
Strictly hypothetically, is it possible to modify/create a page in source code on one instance of NOP and compile it then take that modified page and insert it into another instance of NOP (same version) along with any other support files that were modified or created during the build?

I realize it is best to build the solution as a whole but just for the sake of it…
2 anos atrás
Basically you are describing the development process or Plugin creation process
So yes the complete development website does not need to be copied into production only the changes
Or install new Plugin version

Use Visual Studio with a source code version create a new page and (source code if required)
Test it
Copy the page, and if required the .dll or .dll's  and support files to production website

In the case of changes to a Nop Service or Core routine that might mean only copying Nop.Service.dll or Nop.Core.dll

Of course the best way to do this is to incorporate all changes in a plugin and just install a new plugin version each time
2 anos atrás
Thank you for the detailed answer.
I was assuming that plugins were to modify things on a mass scale (redistribute/sell). I also thought that plugins created the necessary .dll files and other support material on the fly as it was installing?
Wouldn't it have to seeing that everyone's site is not the same and writing over system files would be on a site per site basis?
Again, forgive me if I am being ridiculous, .NET is new animal to me.

Thanks again.
2 anos atrás
AlekC wrote:
I also thought that plugins created the necessary .dll files and other support material on the fly as it was installing?

Well not exactly, all the .dlls and support material are created at development time, tested and then packaged up in a zip so they can be installed on a production machine.

AlekC wrote:
Wouldn't it have to seeing that everyone's site is not the same and writing over system files would be on a site per site basis

In theory if the are the same version then the code can be installed but yes it does depend on any other custom developments that may have been done

You are right that there is an overhead in creating plugins
But it does provide a way to manage the code and integration over time, keeping everything together so that it can be managed
Starting out you can make changes to the core and document them well so later they can be re-integrated into a new version
Also you can always test ideas in the core and create a plugin later
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.