Why not bootstrap??

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
3 年 前
Totally agree.. Bootstrap would have been nice to see.      Reading Nikola's commets, I have to say they are absolutely nonsense.

1. It does not follow the best practices.
Completely wrong.  It does follow best practices.  In fact, there are several best practice rules broken with NopTemplates that I have come across as a developer in working with their themes.   They are very reluctant to help, from my experience.  

2. The Responsive version of the Website is not optimal.
With Boostrap 4, It is very response.  It is very easy to make a simple code change to achieve desired result.   NopTemplates is very poorly written.  I have purchased several of their themes in the past and have since given up on them., just far too many issues.   I have reported number bugs to their ticket system to have them fixed.  Their css responded very poorly to things that bootstrap achieves with ease..  I am happy to share with you some of the bugs I have reported.

3. Your Design in Limited.

The 12 column layout with 4 breakpoints is a huge restriction on the possibilities of your design. Having a predefined frame that you are not allowed to go out of can result in similar and boring looks of your website.

Again absolute nonsense...you can code break points to override.   The break points in NopTempolates are all over the place mixed in various style sheets.. a nightmare maintain if you want to make a simple change... breaks everything.

4. It is Lazy, not better.
If you are capable of writing good CSS you can achieve everything that Bootstrap gives you and beyond that with not a lot of work and you will get rid of the conflicts that you can experience when using class-based grid systems.

Complete and utter nonsense, Boostrap allows you to work smarter, not harder.

5. You will not be taken seriously.
By who,  NopTemplates?   Again, complete foolishness.    I do not take NopTemplates serious anymore.

If you want templates written in Boostrap, try https://nop4you.com/   They have beautifully written templates that use the latest version of Boostrap, and if you make a change to the css, its doenst crumble like a deck of cards like NopTemplates.

Good Luck
3 年 前
Only bootstrap and that's it!
3 年 前
First off, Bootstrap supports far too many anti-patterns. An anti-pattern is a design idea that seem good, is reproduced often, but generally are bad ideas for a website. First off, Bootstrap does not give you a truly responsive design.
3 年 前
Sure, please remove also JQUERY - it's old and dangerous!
3 年 前
Bootstrap is great for quickly throwing together a prototype or internal tool, but it is not intended for use on a production website (unless you want it to look like a Bootstrap website... I guess). Bootstrap's way of doing things means fast development, but it makes zero sense for a uniquely designed website
3 年 前
Bootstrap is great for quickly throwing together a prototype or internal tool, but it is not intended for use on a production website (unless you want it to look like a Bootstrap website I guess). Bootstrap's way of doing things means fast development, but it makes zero sense for a uniquely designed website.
3 年 前
imarch wrote:
Totally agree.. Bootstrap would have been nice to see.      Reading Nikola's commets, I have to say they are absolutely nonsense.

Completely wrong.  It does follow best practices.  In fact, there are several best practice rules broken with NopTemplates that I have come across as a developer in working with their themes.   They are very reluctant to help, from my experience.  

With Boostrap 4, It is very response.  It is very easy to make a simple code change to achieve desired result.   NopTemplates is very poorly written.  I have purchased several of their themes in the past and have since given up on them., just far too many issues.   I have reported number bugs to their ticket system to have them fixed.  Their css responded very poorly to things that bootstrap achieves with ease..  I am happy to share with you some of the bugs I have reported.

The 12 column layout with 4 breakpoints is a huge restriction on the possibilities of your design. Having a predefined frame that you are not allowed to go out of can result in similar and boring looks of your website.

Again absolute nonsense...you can code break points to override.   The break points in NopTempolates are all over the place mixed in various style sheets.. a nightmare maintain if you want to make a simple change... breaks everything.

If you are capable of writing good CSS you can achieve everything that Bootstrap gives you and beyond that with not a lot of work and you will get rid of the conflicts that you can experience when using class-based grid systems.

Complete and utter nonsense, Boostrap allows you to work smarter, not harder.

By who,  NopTemplates?   Again, complete foolishness.    I do not take NopTemplates serious anymore.

If you want templates written in Boostrap, try https://nop4you.com/   They have beautifully written templates that use the latest version of Boostrap, and if you make a change to the css, its doenst crumble like a deck of cards like NopTemplates.

Good Luck

Can't agree more!

Yes you may say a thousand words against bootstrap, but to me as a .net developer with solid front end knowledge, I would rather choose a well documented, modular designed and massively deployed framework like bootstrap! Noptemplates may look good, but their are NOT framework, and it is far too costly for me to learn cause their are not open source! Speaking of designing, no artist would admit that someone else is doing better himself,  but hey, we are developers! we are building a project here!
3 年 前
as bootstrap 5 dropped dependency of jquery,  now it is really an elegant web framework in my opinion. I'd really like to see the default nop theme to be built on top of bootstrap 5 in future release?

for .net developers, it takes 100 times effort to modify/extend a proprietary template then a open source one.

So, please please port the default theme to bootstrap 5.
3 年 前
That will be very valuable and time saving for developers.
2 年 前
Nop-Templates.com wrote:
Hello,

In addition to what Hristo said I would like to add

In the process of developing Nop-Templates.com themes we had a lot of discussions about Bootstrap, but in the end, we decided to dismiss it as a possible approach and if you are interested I can explain the reasons for that.

One of the major issues I have with Twitter Bootstrap is that you end up with a whole lot of DOM elements crammed full of classes. This breaks one of the fundamental rules of good web design, the HTML is no longer semantic and the presentation is no longer separate from the content

Actually, Bootstrap does not give you a truly responsive design. Bootstrap gives you 4 break points and almost nothing more. The idea of the responsive design is not that you can shrink the content of your website so that it fits on a smaller device. The idea is to build a layout based on the purpose of the website, that allows users to access the information as easily as they would have if they were browsing from a desktop machine.

Bootstrap is often considered a tool that is used by people who have limited knowledge of front-end. So if you decide to use it on your project it is very likely that you will not be taken seriously by someone that is familiar with that matter.

There is more that can be discussed about that, but I believe that in that five points I pointed out the biggest disadvantages of Bootstrap. Of course, this is only my opinion on the matter and if anyone else has something to add I will be happy to read it.

/Nikola

Hi there,
I actually allow this thought to rest with me for a day, and now, I have a perspective.
While the points you have made are salient, you have only listed the cons to using Bootstrap and none of the pros; with that I must conclude that the argument(s) you made was /were biased.

To be fair you should take into consideration if the pros out way the cons, and what meets the bottom-line as a significant amount of developers are professionals or freelancers, and not so much hobbyist.

The other thing that dawned on me is that "nopCommerce" falls more under the category of "Web Application" and not so much the category of "Website". Even so by design, as the solution is geared towards developers more than it is towards designers. I say this to say that while all aspect of web development is important (SEO, Semantic Mark-Up etc.), the priority differs for Web Application development where getting to a MVP is paramount above all, and a flawless semantically correct HTML DOM may fall further down.

There is always, and will always be a struggle for both developers and designers to strike the balance between writing the most elegant and flawless code (that the sponsor will never see and don't care about) and delivering a (solid enough) solution on time, and within budget.

I think it is fair to say if you are asking a community of developers to adopt a tool into their development process at minimum it should make them move faster, lower development cost, and maintain or increase their code quality and standard. The combination of Bootstrap with nopCommerce will do exactly that.

These are my thoughts on the matter.... Cheers!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.