I've Integrated an Excel Bulk File Upload w/ Pictures (images)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Thanks to Glenn for the update information.

Sorry I haven't been a part of the forum for a while... I've been working on some projects that are Time and FDA critical.  Its cool to see the advance in the app and that they integrated the bulk insert. (I can't believe its been a year already!)

Glenn is right about the import of categories (and Manufacturers).  I did a SSIS package to import both and mapped all of my products in the excel sheet before importing.  After the (product) import all of the products where automatically mapped to categories, manufacturers, and pictures.

I am currently working on a different MVC project and trying to re-learn the architecture of this app. so I may be able to offer better advice and solutions in the near future.
12 years ago
Good Morning.

Hi Glenn

Thank you for the help Glenn I have managed to import he test products. Under various sub categories etc.

I did think the same about the categories and did clock the CatID in the spreadsheet. I will be creating the package and deploying with help from my boss. I love it NOP incorporated an XML insert option for all cat, man, products and attributes quite happily dive into that.

Cheers dude I link a my website when it is up and hosted.

Hi hrdfsique

Just wondering and working on how the db populated with the imported xslx file to manually place pictures in the db either by query or by writing directly into the table how did you get around picture binary my boss and myself are keen to find out how it was developed. We are not storing them directly in the db but on a file system but we need to find out how this is done. If you understand. I have mapped out the tables in question but for some reason when I insert directly in the table it goes to the default image on the front end.

Kind Regards

Richard.
12 years ago
Good Morning.

Hi Glenn

Thank you for the help Glenn I have managed to import he test products. Under various sub categories etc.

I did think the same about the categories and did clock the CatID in the spreadsheet. I will be creating the package and deploying with help from my boss. I love it NOP incorporated an XML insert option for all cat, man, products and attributes quite happily dive into that.

Cheers dude I link a my website when it is up and hosted.

Hi hrdfsique

Just wondering and working on how the db populated with the imported xslx file to manually place pictures in the db either by query or by writing directly into the table how did you get around picture binary my boss and myself are keen to find out how it was developed. We are not storing them directly in the db but on a file system but we need to find out how this is done. If you understand. I have mapped out the tables in question but for some reason when I insert directly in the table it goes to the default image on the front end.

Kind Regards

Richard.
12 years ago
wertyuio1 wrote:
:)))
I think the following reason's may have been the failure of the insert

. I changed the name of the exported file. I restored it back to its original name.
. I was also operating on Excel 2001 which wouldn't save as xlsx file so I installed 2010.

Away it went.

Richard, it would seem that .xlsx (Office 2007/2010) is required for nop v2.3. I had been using v2.2 and .xls works fine. However after testing with v2.3 I noticed that .xls does not work, but .xlsx is fine.

On the name of the file, this does not have to be the same as the downloaded file name. I have changed this and it still uploads fine.

Regards...
12 years ago
Hi Glenn

I have been testing the same process and I have also come to the same conculsion. But after speaking to my boss we cannot be inserting the data via xslx file we need to diretly import into the DB.

The company I work for has over 36 categories with an average of 8-10 sub categories that I'm currently mapping out for an Sql query. As the information will be coming over from the companies existing Database via a DMZ.

But we have run into an issue again with direct image uploads into the db. We need to import them directly into the dbo.picture table either through a query or typing into the table but still keeping it as a filesystem. But we found out that the permission's only grant access through the xlsx file..

I'm a novice to SQL I'm trying but any advise I would be gratefully.

Richard
12 years ago
Sorry Richard,

I too am a novice with SQL Scripting! Maybe it would be a good idea for you to start a new topic in the "Support" forum and ask there if this would be possible?

Sorry I couldn't be any more help...
12 years ago
wertyuio1 wrote:
Hi Glenn

I have been testing the same process and I have also come to the same conculsion. But after speaking to my boss we cannot be inserting the data via xslx file we need to diretly import into the DB.

But we have run into an issue again with direct image uploads into the db. We need to import them directly into the dbo.picture table either through a query or typing into the table but still keeping it as a filesystem. But we found out that the permission's only grant access through the xlsx file..

I'm a novice to SQL I'm trying but any advise I would be gratefully.

Richard

I cheated on this originally... I did the complete import using my local machine (Dev environment) so the scripts where able to see the original pictures (local address found in the xcel file).  The pictures are placed in the stream and resized in the script then written to a file location within the web folder.

Once complete, and tested, I then loaded my website up to the production server and was good to go.

Also, with version 1.9 the application only read .xsl files so I had to make sure that I saved my excel files into the (older) file extension (format).

Be advised, that you may want to reconsider loading the BLOB data of every one of your pictures into your database as this will create major performance issues.
11 years ago
Has there been any further work on this? I have about 200,000 sku's with images to upload. I am using 2.8, I will be happy to help update the code if needed.

The original link to the .zip is dead.

Thanks!!
11 years ago
marc1b wrote:
Has there been any further work on this? I have about 200,000 sku's with images to upload. I am using 2.8, I will be happy to help update the code if needed.

Thanks!!

Check NopAdmin extension in NopAdmin.com
11 years ago
marc1b wrote:

Thanks!!

200,000 SKU's?! I am very curious to know how you find NopCommerce in terms of performance with 200,000 SKU's in the database. Is your website live on the Internet?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.