Developer roadmap - 1. Moving to MVC. Your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 years ago
winxguru wrote:
Ben, I wouldn't, it's just not worth it :)

Agreed, a flame war won't add anything constructive to this thread. Besides, Silverlight was never on the cards as an option to begin with.

Its hard to refrain though :)

Anyway, Andrei when are you going to make a statement?
13 years ago
thought wrote:

Moving (or not moving) to MVC is very hard decision. I think I'll do it within the next 1-2 months
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:
Moving (or not moving) to MVC is very hard decision. I think I'll do it within the next 1-2 months

Yes, not to be rushed - it's not an answer that I am after, I just wondered what your general opinion is on moving to MVC?
13 years ago
thought wrote:
...I just wondered what your general opinion is on moving to MVC?

I think nopCommerce will be moved to MVC sooner or later. The main question is when?
13 years ago
nopCommerce team | a.m. wrote:
...I just wondered what your general opinion is on moving to MVC?
I think nopCommerce will be moved to MVC sooner or later. The main question is when?

One step at a time I suppose:) I think you are doing it right looking at codeplex svn log, looks like some solid changes being made.

You could release a 1.85/1.9 version when you finish the architectural changes to keep thee webforms people happy then concentrate on UI/MVC - what I would do anyway.

Keep up the good work :)
13 years ago
What are the development team's thoughts on rolling out MVC for the front-end before making changes to the administration area?

Regarding Silverlight, it is just plain silly to suggest that the nopCommerce system should be rebuilt entirely on a platform that requires a third party plugin just to view on the client's machine. You don't build complete websites in Flash for the same reason you shouldn't build complete websites in Silverlight. Enhancing functionality with Silverlight (or Flash) is totally great, but phasing out HTML completely is a fool's errand. That being said, it would be pretty cool to one day have a fully-Silverlight administration area. Would certainly cut back the amount of time that goes into maintaining the CRUD features of nopCommerce.
13 years ago
"Regarding Silverlight, it is just plain silly to suggest that the nopCommerce system should be rebuilt entirely on a platform that requires a third party plugin just to view on the client's machine. "

Silverlight is taking over the market.. "If Silverlight keeps gaining market presence at this rate, the goal of near 100% market penetration should be achieved during 2010."
http://fragiledevelopment.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/silverlight-market-penetration-2/

Also, we can use Microsoft's Silverlight Facebook SDK to use facebook information about clients to display products they might want to buy based on their interests and likes.

"You don't build complete websites in Flash for the same reason you shouldn't build complete websites in Silverlight."
The ONLY reason websites aren't built in completely Flash is because of the lack of Search Engine support. Years ago I have seen some sites that were completely built using flash. The G-Shock Watch site used to be all flash for example. Silverlight has SEO optimization, you can generate SEO content based on the XAML, and you can use SEO hyperlinks as well. That being said, it is possible to build a search friendly ecommerce site using Silverlight, but with Flash it is near impossible do to its the lack of SEO support.

"Enhancing functionality with Silverlight (or Flash) is totally great, but phasing out HTML completely is a fool's errand."
You still need HTML and the OBJECT tag to embed Silverlight. LOL <-- joking

"That being said, it would be pretty cool to one day have a fully-Silverlight administration area. Would certainly cut back the amount of time that goes into maintaining the CRUD features of nopCommerce."
I couldn't agree more! Even using Silverlight for the admin area would be a great start! Not only would it save time implementing the CRUD features of nopCommerce, but it would also make maintaining thousands of products easier and open the door for more innovative ideas.

Another thing, I would at least like to see some Silverlight support on the front end, even if it is just to allow Silverlight ads or something like this for viewing Movies or Music/Downloadable content:
http://coverflow.darickcarpenter.com/
13 years ago
breakskater wrote:

You still need HTML and the OBJECT tag to embed Silverlight.

</silverlight discussion>
13 years ago
thought:

What is it about Silverlight that you disagree so strongly?
13 years ago
breakskater wrote:
thought:

What is it about Silverlight that you disagree so strongly?

Like flash, i would only use silverlight when traditional html/js/ajax methods do not work.

There are lots of reasons; http://stackoverflow.com/questions/56266/using-silverlight-for-an-entire-website
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.