What is SKU?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 лет назад
Hello friends. Does anybody can explain me what is SKY variant?
thanks
14 лет назад
SKU: Stock Keeping Unit is a unique identifier for each distinct product and service that can be purchased. SKU use is rooted in data management, enabling the company to systematically track its inventory or product availability, such as in warehouses and retail outlets.
14 лет назад
You mean it's a identification number used in order to locate the product? For example, in mail, something to track the package through the different locations? Am i following it ok?

gracias!
14 лет назад
No, SKU would be better explained as the UPC on the back of a product, it is a number that allows the company to identify what the product is and who they bought it from as well as (if attached to software) to track how much of the product they have left.
14 лет назад
like a bar code?

would be something like the internal company's ID of the product rather than the web one.
14 лет назад
Exactly, Its the Barcode of a product. So when a customer makes a purchase the SKU (or barcode) tells you the store owner what product they bought, were you buy it from, were its located in your warehouse (if you use one) and how many you might have left (if you keep track)

Its your companies ID for the product.

Take this for example:

SDYP119

This is my SKU for a 19 piece lockpick set that I sell on my bkindustries.net site. The YP119 is the ID code that the manufacturer uses to identify the product, I copy that ID and put it in mine, however I add the SD before it to Identify what company I purchase it from, the S and D are initials from the company I purchase it from.

So now if someone buys this I know what company it comes from and what ID or SKU number the that company uses. That way I know what item to purchase to ship out or replace my stock.
14 лет назад
Ok let me explain you everything in detail and the difference between all the numbers related to product that will help you in understanding each number/code.

When you are dealing with products, obviously each product is manufactured by some company right ?

So each manufacturer company gives the product a manufacturer part number, - > this number act as Manufacturer Part Number of product.

Now, the point is UPC # and SKU code could be different, it's not compulsory that UPC code means SKU.

90% product comes with a bar code, that bar code number is known as UPC Code

Now talking about SKU, many Vendors get products from manufacturer and those vendors sell those products to people or companies or distributors, Now at this point each product already have Manufacturer Part Number and the BarCode(UPC Code) right ? Now to maintain inventory , Vendor also gives all products a number that is known as SKU. So this is how Vendor related each product

Product 1 Has Manufacturer Part Number = SKU (Given By vendor)

SKU's are usually given by Vendors/Distributors to maintain their Inventory and orders.
14 лет назад
Let me know if you are still confused about anything
14 лет назад
muchas gracias!
you people helped me a lot!

juan
argentina
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.