Bug in NopCommerce 4.10 upgrade script for Picture and PictureBinary tables

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
5 лет назад
Hi NopCommerce Team,

I am writing to a strange issue that we came across while upgrading a nopCommerce 3.80 website to nopCommerce 4.10. I am also writing the solution that we did to resolve this issue.

Problem:

While upgrading, I was checking database size regularly and found that database size increased from 1569 MB to 2927 MB when I executed upgrade script to upgrade database from nopCommerce 4.00 to nopCommerce 4.10.

This was very surprising for me and we started looking for problems. We did same procedure more one time and result was again same.

Database size was increasing to almost double while upgrading from nopCommerce 4.00 to nopCommerce 4.10. Which forced me to look in to upgrade script and then I found following code at line number 3814

IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM sys.objects WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[PictureBinary]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(object_id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)
BEGIN

EXEC('CREATE TABLE [dbo].[PictureBinary]
    (
    [Id] int IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [PictureId] int NOT NULL,
    [BinaryData] [varbinary](max) NULL,    
    PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
      [Id] ASC
    ) WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON)
  )

--copy existing data
  INSERT INTO [dbo].[PictureBinary](PictureId, BinaryData)
  SELECT [Id], [PictureBinary] FROM [dbo].[Picture]

ALTER TABLE dbo.Picture  DROP COLUMN [PictureBinary]')  

END
GO

I checked in my new database. I had 24847 records in my Picture table. Then I checked size of Picture and PictureBinary table using following code:

EXEC sp_spaceused [Picture];

EXEC sp_spaceused [PictureBinary];

It gave me following result:

name    rows      reserved  data    index_size  unused
Picture    24847                 1251152 KB  1250832 KB  88 KB    232 KB
PictureBinary  24847                 1247760 KB  1247256 KB  72 KB    432 KB

Solution:

Then I executed following script:

ALTER INDEX ALL ON [Picture] REBUILD;
EXEC sp_spaceused [Picture];

It gave me following result:

name    rows      reserved  data    index_size  unused
Picture    24847                 3600 KB    3496 KB    16 KB    88 KB

It was shocking for me. Picture table was reduced to 3 MB from 1250 MB. This is because dropping "PictureBinary" column in Picture table does never clears data. We need to re-index table.

Hope NopCommerce team can now add "ALTER INDEX ALL ON [Picture] REBUILD;" at Line number 3836 in their nopCommerce 4.10 upgrade script.
5 лет назад
Thanks, Atul! Our team will check it soon - https://github.com/nopSolutions/nopCommerce/issues/3357
5 лет назад
Done. Please see this commit for more details

And thank you, Atul, for your help!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.