Spam user registrations and banned ip addresses.

один месяц назад
I recently revised a plugin I wrote about 9/10 years ago (when nop MVC arrived) to work with v3.8, that replaced the pre 2.0 banned ip list. It morphed into something that also blocked spam registrations and messages and added them to a reject/banned ip list.

Would this be something of interest to the community? I'd need to make a version for other builds and it needs some refinement before it would be appropriate for release, so I'm seeing whether it's worth it for me to develop it further. I don't know whether this would be a paid for or free plugin at the moment. I like the idea of releasing a free basic/evaluation/community version and a full version with a few more bells and whistles, plus support for larger organisations and sites.

I don't think there's anything available that does this for nopcommerce or manages banned ip addresses?

Here's the basics of how it works:
It checks the registration process for certain criteria in the form content and creates a score. If the score is over a certain value, it adds the IP to a banned list and does some logging if the option is selected. It then redirects to a website of your choice. the default is SpamHaus, which I think is quite amusing in itself.

You can also manually add IP addresses to the list.

There is also a feature so messages (from contact etc) can be checked against SpamAssasin and rejected and also logged and added to the banned ip list (this needs some work, as the api has changed since I originally did this).

In the week since I put this on a site, spam registrations/users accounts have gone from 100/200 a day down to zero.

Thanks.
один месяц назад
There used to be some IP Blocking plugins in the marketplace, but the authors removed them, because one now has to pay to 'advertise' there.  So they may still be out there, but you need to find them on the developers own web site.   Removal from the marketplace might be some indication of how desirable it is.   Or you can try to "build it and they will come" ;)
один месяц назад
New York wrote:
There used to be some IP Blocking plugins in the marketplace, but the authors removed them, because one now has to pay to 'advertise' there.  So they may still be out there, but you need to find them on the developers own web site.   Removal from the marketplace might be some indication of how desirable it is.   Or you can try to "build it and they will come" ;)


Thanks. I'll see what the commity thinks and if people would use it. I've done a number of nopcommerce sites using FREE nopcommerce in the past, so I'm not too precious about putting something back in for free. I'll have a search for stuff not in the marketplace and see what is available.
один месяц назад
EdNice wrote:
I recently revised a plugin I wrote about 9/10 years ago (when nop MVC arrived) to work with v3.8, that replaced the pre 2.0 banned ip list. It morphed into something that also blocked spam registrations and messages and added them to a reject/banned ip list.

Would this be something of interest to the community? I'd need to make a version for other builds and it needs some refinement before it would be appropriate for release, so I'm seeing whether it's worth it for me to develop it further. I don't know whether this would be a paid for or free plugin at the moment. I like the idea of releasing a free basic/evaluation/community version and a full version with a few more bells and whistles, plus support for larger organisations and sites.

I don't think there's anything available that does this for nopcommerce or manages banned ip addresses?

Here's the basics of how it works:
It checks the registration process for certain criteria in the form content and creates a score. If the score is over a certain value, it adds the IP to a banned list and does some logging if the option is selected. It then redirects to a website of your choice. the default is SpamHaus, which I think is quite amusing in itself.

You can also manually add IP addresses to the list.

There is also a feature so messages (from contact etc) can be checked against SpamAssasin and rejected and also logged and added to the banned ip list (this needs some work, as the api has changed since I originally did this).

In the week since I put this on a site, spam registrations/users accounts have gone from 100/200 a day down to zero.

Thanks.


Interesting. I believe, this will be a useful plugin as a community/free option. And a premium with support for more features!
один месяц назад
(I did just notice a plugin for filtering IP addresses
https://www.nopcommerce.com/en/ip-filter-firewall-foxnetsoftcom
один месяц назад
New York wrote:
(I did just notice a plugin for filtering IP addresses
https://www.nopcommerce.com/en/ip-filter-firewall-foxnetsoftcom


Thanks. Yes, I've sen that one before. They've been around ages and do tons of plugins.

The plugin I've done is slightly different, as it's primary function is to block spam/spurious/bot accounts from registering. The ip filtering/rejection stuff was added because you need to do something to record and reject, because once they have tried once, you may as well ban their ip to stop them coming back.
один месяц назад
So, are you say that yours differs because it will 'automagically' detect bots ( "...If the score is over a certain value, it adds the IP to a banned list ")?
один месяц назад
New York wrote:
So, are you say that yours differs because it will 'automagically' detect bots ( "...If the score is over a certain value, it adds the IP to a banned list ")?


Yes.

It detects accounts that look like this (amongst others):
[email protected]  Veronagvg VeronauhqVC  google

It's not very sophisticated as yet and it needs some kind of 'learning' process or editable pattern matching options to make it usable as a plugin, rathe rthan me just adding options as they turn up.
один месяц назад
EdNice wrote:
The plugin I've done is slightly different, as it's primary function is to block spam/spurious/bot accounts from registering.


From what I'm reading, it seems like you're trying to implement an alternative to Google recaptcha?