New more user friendly product/variants logic. Let's discuss

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:

Admin area > products > manage products

Download as PDF - one could put a link to this on homepage, I was thinking front-end like New Products - All Products.
10 years ago
Product Inventory searching.

Product: Canon Digital SLR Camera

Has two variants

Canon Digital SLR Camera - Black  $670

Canon Digital SLR Camera - Silver $630

Manage Products
Search Product Name: Canon Digital SLR Camera
Does not return any products?

The actual name of the product is: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera

I think that could be a little confusing.

Home   /
Electronics   /
Camera, photo   /
Canon Digital SLR Camera
is actually
Canon’s EOS Rebel XSi.

Effectively three titles for the same product.

Attributes vs Variants

This product currently has two variants  : black and silver.

It could be published using one variant with an attribute (color) and two records (black) and (silver) with a price adjustment.

Using attributes was the way I learned rather than variants.

How will this change with the new logic?
10 years ago
jariwalakrunal wrote:
ok. just got a quick look at the new changeset and so far I see 3 major issues :

I think you're looking for bundled products features.. which is yet not implemented. Grouped products is similar to Product with multiple variants.

yes you are right. I got both things mixed up along the thought . but still, there should be also a "add to cart" button for the grouped product that will add all the associated products to the cart. in magento, there is also a default quantity.

I also would like to know at this point what the purpose of setting prices and managing inventory and all the options for the grouped product is ,  ... (this is where I got confused with bundled products)... I still think that with this version, we are half way between grouped and bundled products.
10 years ago
This change is a great movement.

This way, we can share a simple product in some grouped products and we don't lose stock control and it's easy to manage prices, etc.

Now, with product variants, if two products uses same product variant, we have to duplicate it and is to dificult to manage prices, text, stock (imagine with hundred of products and 10 variants on each one...)
10 years ago
sch09 wrote:
ok. just got a quick look at the new changeset and so far I see 3 major issues...

jariwalakrunal is absolutely right. bundle products != grouped products
10 years ago
sch09 wrote:
but still, there should be also a "add to cart" button for the grouped product that will add all the associated products to the cart. in magento, there is also a default quantity

You always can create a new product template for such grouped product

sch09 wrote:
I also would like to know at this point what the purpose of setting prices and managing inventory and all the options for the grouped product is ,  ... (this is where I got confused with bundled products)... I still think that with this version, we are half way between grouped and bundled products.

similar in magento all these fields (price, inventory, etc) are ignored for grouped products
10 years ago
JonNopper wrote:
Product Inventory searching.

Product: Canon Digital SLR Camera

Has two variants

Canon Digital SLR Camera - Black  $670

Canon Digital SLR Camera - Silver $630

Manage Products
Search Product Name: Canon Digital SLR Camera
Does not return any products?

The actual name of the product is: Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera

I think that could be a little confusing.

Home   /
Electronics   /
Camera, photo   /
Canon Digital SLR Camera
is actually
Canon’s EOS Rebel XSi.

Effectively three titles for the same product.

That's just a sample data. Furthermore, there's no such product with "Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera" name. The grouped product name is "Canon Digital SLR Camera" if you have a look at the latest development version.

JonNopper wrote:
Attributes vs Variants

This product currently has two variants  : black and silver.

It could be published using one variant with an attribute (color) and two records (black) and (silver) with a price adjustment.

Using attributes was the way I learned rather than variants.

How will this change with the new logic?

Not sure that I got your question. We don't have variants anymore. We have simple products (with or without attributes) and we have grouped products with associated products.
10 years ago
a.m. wrote:
if you have a look at the latest development version.

I have downloaded the changeset from this thread (So please download the latest development version, install from scratch, and play with it.)
I can see the new SKU, price and stock quantity. Definitely an improvement.
But I get this error:

Admin area > Manage Products > Edit
The partial view '_CreateOrUpdate.SEO' was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations.

Source Error:
Line 31: @helper TabSeo()
Line 32: {
Line 33:     @Html.Partial("_CreateOrUpdate.SEO", Model)
Line 34: }
Line 35: @helper TabCategories()
10 years ago
JonNopper wrote:
The partial view '_CreateOrUpdate.SEO' was not found or no view engine supports the searched locations.

Everything works fine out of the box. Do you have the following file? \Nop.Web\Administration\Views\Product\_CreateOrUpdate.SEO.cshtml
10 years ago
Yes it is in the source.

nopcommerce _2dcb54b7e1ca
Windows 8
Visual Studio 2012 Professional

I shall re-build, deploy and try again.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.