nopCommerce 2.10 roadmap. Let's discuss.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 Jahre weitere
a.m. wrote:
I think we can implement all requested features in 2.10. There're some features that are really long-waited (for example, multi-store support). But in this case you'll see the next release in 1-2 years. I don't think that someone will want to wait for it. So let's start with the initial features (Facebook membership integration, Mobile devices support, Multilingual SEO URLs, etc).

P.S. If someone wants to propose a new feature, I recommend doing it here. I'll also allow other people to vote for it. Most of the tasks were chosen based on Codeplex votes (but not all of them)

Regarding worklist items, it's interesting to note the top 3 requested features in 2.10 version

Votes Title
55 Facebook, Open ID, Live ID membership integration  
52 Mobile devices support
28 Multilingual SEO URLs

vs. all the open requests (all versions)

Votes Title
75 Multistore  
62 Web Services API  
55 Facebook, Open ID, Live ID membership integration  

Windows Azure item has only 8 votes and was only created a week ago.  Multilingual SEO, also created a week ago.
Why aren't we focusing on long standing requests with high # of votes?

And, why does the next release have to have so much stuff in it?  Why not a shorter release cycle with the more important items?  I think that would also give developers some time to absorb the new framework - i.e. maybe a lot of requested features can be created as plugins by others besides the core team.

And finally, nop 2.0 is just to new to ignore...  Performance optimization
Just a guess, but I suspect there are very few shops out there that have converted over to 2.0, and we've yet to see the complaints come in.  I'd be happy if 2.0 had no new features and just performance improvements  (and be happier if we could see it in 4 weeks :)
12 Jahre weitere
just digging through the code... I really like Orchard too

WebHelper.cs

if (!success)
                {
                    throw new NopException("Orchard needs to be restarted due to a configuration change, but was unable to do so.\r\n" +
                        "To prevent this issue in the future, a change to the web server configuration is required:\r\n" +
                        "- run the application in a full trust environment, or\r\n" +
                        "- give the application write access to the 'web.config' file.");
                }
12 Jahre weitere
mcselasvegas wrote:
I really like Orchard too...

=)))
We borrowed some code from Orchard (permission records, installation UI, other minor things). But we gave credit (in release notes, in source code, on codeplex site).
12 Jahre weitere
Just wanted to say that short 2.10 is a good thing. As for me further performance optimization + bug fixing is good enough for 2.1 AFAIK.

BTW - working though the code making some changes on more than one occasion I've stopped to sit back sip some more tea and admire its elegance :-). I know I've said this but once again .. good job Core Team :-)
12 Jahre weitere
a.m. wrote:
I think we can implement all requested features in 2.10. There're some features that are really long-waited (for example, multi-store support). But in this case you'll see the next release in 1-2 years. I don't think that someone will want to wait for it. So let's start with the initial features (Facebook membership integration, Mobile devices support, Multilingual SEO URLs, etc).

P.S. If someone wants to propose a new feature, I recommend doing it here. I'll also allow other people to vote for it. Most of the tasks were chosen based on Codeplex votes (but not all of them)

Andrei I agree with what you say, but there items wanted more in-demand than windows azure support. Hence some concern within the community over what the nopCommerce team are proposing for the next release.

If you saying multi-store will take 1-2 years and that timescale is unacceptable for the next release, then which release would a 1-2 year wait be accpetable?

I do not see the logic behind Windows Azure implementation when there are more important features such as a Web Services API. If it took 6 months for that to be implemented, I would happily wait for 6 months for the next release for that feature, because that functionality would lend itself to the integration of services to nopCommerce.

Other people have already highlighted that a minority of people are requesting Windows Azure than other features. Merchants who sell on the internet want features that are going to make there business money, not marketing buzzwords. Integration to tie other systems into nopCommerce will help businesses make money. Web Services help achieve integration.

I would be very disappointed if windows Azure support found itself implemented in the next release ahead of other features.

techwarrior
12 Jahre weitere
techwarrior wrote:
If you saying multi-store will take 1-2 years...

I didn't say that multistore will take 1-2 years. I talked about all possible requested features.

techwarrior wrote:
I do not see the logic behind Windows Azure implementation

We want nopCommerce to be really scalable. And Windows Azure allows it.

techwarrior wrote:
I would be very disappointed if windows Azure support found itself implemented in the next release ahead of other features.

OK. If you don't need this feature, then just don't use it. Other people will use it.
12 Jahre weitere
Regarding web service API. No worries. It'll also be implemented in one of the further releases.
12 Jahre weitere
We need to be able to get DATA in/out of nopCommerce much easier.  How about a way to pick the columns you want to export for products, then be able to schedule this file update at a specific location, or ftp it.  Sounds like most of the Google Feed app, but we can actually modify the output columns for our needs and have multiple destination files and types (csv, xml, txt)...Shopping feed, ebay feed, amazon feed, buy.com feed, sears feed...

Curretnly, the Google feed output is a waste, it doesn't work and you can't even list on Google anymore because you guys don't even export the MPN number.  What about the other new columns?

Also, what about people who don't use AZURE?  Have you guys actually looked at the billing?  I have because I have actually used the service.  It is horrible compared to Amazon EC2, and way more limited.

I agree, have left many posts about the SEO impact of not using keywords in the images.  Why not just add a second database column, store the filename from the upload and use that throughout the site?  Mainly for product, category, brand images.

How about a video on adding a plugin?  I would love to build the www.Shipworks.com plugin...
12 Jahre weitere
a.m. wrote:
OK. If you don't need this feature, then just don't use it. Other people will use it.

You are missing the point Andre. There are other features which are more in demand. Scalability is great, but does it sell products for merchants? Does it improve SEO?

A Webservices API allows integration to eBay, to other services helping to sell products. EBay integration gives a merchant a "clean" integrated solution to sell products in a widely used marketplace.

Multistore gives the ability to provide niche sites, with highly targetted keywords in Search Engines. This can help improve sales of products to Merchants.

Its not a question as to whether I would use it or not (I wouldn't) but given the number of votes on codeplex for some of the features above, wouldn't you agree that focusing on those with higher vote count be more important? I can see people becoming disallusioned and dumping nopCommerce becuase it would seem the nopTeam are not interested in developing functionality the majority of the community wants, instead the nopTeam want to focus on "sexy buzzwords".

techwarrior
12 Jahre weitere
Just to clarify, if the top 5 mosted voted on items didn't include multi-store, ebay integration, etc. and you implemented the top 5 items, great. You are developing and implementing functionality that the majority of the community require.

The fact your not implementing functionality the majority of the community require - suggests there are other issues here. Hence the concern from people making the posts they are.

So I again ask - why is Windows Azure support being put ahead of other features - which people have voted on in codeplex?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.