Import category issue

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
7 Jahre weitere
HI there
Not sure if this a bug or not. Im a new user just testing nopcommerce.
Ive set up a test site on my server.
Confirgured my category list in excel. Most categories have 3 levels
Grandparent, Parent, child

I have imported a test of 20 categories. worked perfectly. So i increased this to 1000 - wow what a mess !

It has mixed up all the category structures..no logiv that i can see as to why it has changed where they should be.
Ive tried another import back down to 1 category (updating an existing category) I notice that it doesnt even update the category on 1 row import.
Tried another big import and it creates duplicate categorys even though the id is the same.

so to conclude

Category structure not maintained during import
Categeory structure not updated for existing categories (to fix errors)
Duplicate categories created with further imports even though fields name and id etc all the same.

any ideas if this a known issue?
7 Jahre weitere
Please provide a complete list of steps to reproduce the issue

P.S. Please note imported categories are distinguished by ID. If the ID already exists, then its corresponding category will be updated
7 Jahre weitere
hi there
thanks for your reply.
We logged in to nopcommerce site.
navigate to categories.
Import category
select file from desktop and import
each categpry has a unique id. Each parent category also has an id.
here is the site: http://tonerkit.fr/
example category which is totally wrong :

http://www.tonerkit.fr/e321-2
Home /  CLP4721 /  Workforce AL-M300DN /  Phaser 3250VD /  LaserJet Pro MFP M225dn /  E321

the bread crumb should be
Home /  Lexmark /  Lexmark E /  E321

Cannot see any logic why it has mixed up the category structure. i dont think I can attach the spreadsheet on here...

Thanks !
7 Jahre weitere
here you can check the category : http://www.tonerkit.fr/cat.xlsx
7 Jahre weitere
Hello. New categories are imported incorrectly, because when you insert a new category its ID is ignored, because the database inserts own ID. You can separately import all the top-level categories, to take real IDs from the database and then import the child categories, do this for each new level of nesting. Or you can insert all categories through the administration panel.
7 Jahre weitere
Thanks so much. I was totally confused and thats really helped!
is there any best / quick way to delete the categories I have created as its currently a mess!
7 Jahre weitere
toadman wrote:
Thanks so much. I was totally confused and thats really helped!
is there any best / quick way to delete the categories I have created as its currently a mess!

Easiest way would be directly through SQL:

DELETE FROM Product_Category_Mapping

DELETE FROM UrlRecord
      WHERE EntityName = 'Category'

DELETE FROM Category
7 Jahre weitere
Thanks !!
7 Jahre weitere
hi there
sorry me again. I have executed the 3 delete requests and they are deleted. However the parent categories still show up on the home page menu. If you click on them they no longer exist but they still show.
any ideas? is there something else to delete?
7 Jahre weitere
toadman wrote:
hi there
sorry me again. I have executed the 3 delete requests and they are deleted. However the parent categories still show up on the home page menu. If you click on them they no longer exist but they still show.
any ideas? is there something else to delete?

Try clearing the cache from the admin panel or restarting the site.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.