The documentation in this area is lacking a bit, and the release notes don't even mention it either.

BLOB storage account support in Windows Azure. Please learn more about storage accounts in Azure here.
How to configure: once your BLOB storage is set up in Azure, open your web.config file, find "AzureBlobStorage" element and specify your BLOB storage connection string, container, endpoint.

I presume it would be for image files, but in searching around, I see one reference that it is only for thumbnails, not full images. How come not both?

When you change these web.config settings to enable...then will it automatically start moving (or copying???) the images to blob storage or do you need to manually trigger something? It seems the former, however, on my site, I only see 68 images in the blob container at this point. Those were uploaded nearly instantly after changed the web.config settings and restarted nop, but 2 hours later, image count is still at 68, yet on the file system Images/Thumbs (presuming it is only thumbs that are moved to blob) are 4,600+ files.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.