Using Catagories as nested Topics

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
Il y a 13 ans
Well, just got my store up and running in 1.5 and 1.6 comes out - I've done a bit of hacking so not sure about an upgrade just now - hows that for timing :(( grrr....

Anyway... to the point of this post. There has been some discussion about better content management side for NOPC here and there on the forums, particularly requests for nested topics. Well, I have got around this fairly painlessly by putting all my content in Catagory pages instead of Topic pages - in fact I have removed the topic navigation from the left hand menu pane and just use the catagories instead. It seems to work fine, and I'm not sure if there is a downside, so I thought I'd just share so that others could give it a go if it suits their need (or you can shoot me down if I've done something really dumb but just not seen it yet ;)

To see what I mean, check it out at http://scientologypoole.org.uk - Its not entirely finished and there is lots more content I am planning on adding, but there's enough there to get it going. The 'store' bit is really just the 'Bookstore' catagory - all the rest are just info pages, nested.

In the long term, I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the topics act like the catagories (mostly just copying over the whole catagory editing/mapping system to topics)... but that, as they say, is another day.
Il y a 13 ans
Hey Stuart - thanks for this - simple and ingenious solution, just what I needed!
:0)
Il y a 13 ans
stuartp wrote:
Well, just got my store up and running in 1.5 and 1.6 comes out - I've done a bit of hacking so not sure about an upgrade just now - hows that for timing :(( grrr....

Anyway... to the point of this post. There has been some discussion about better content management side for NOPC here and there on the forums, particularly requests for nested topics. Well, I have got around this fairly painlessly by putting all my content in Catagory pages instead of Topic pages - in fact I have removed the topic navigation from the left hand menu pane and just use the catagories instead. It seems to work fine, and I'm not sure if there is a downside, so I thought I'd just share so that others could give it a go if it suits their need (or you can shoot me down if I've done something really dumb but just not seen it yet ;)

To see what I mean, check it out at http://scientologypoole.org.uk - Its not entirely finished and there is lots more content I am planning on adding, but there's enough there to get it going. The 'store' bit is really just the 'Bookstore' catagory - all the rest are just info pages, nested.

In the long term, I guess it wouldn't be too much trouble to make the topics act like the catagories (mostly just copying over the whole catagory editing/mapping system to topics)... but that, as they say, is another day.

Feedback
1) Your website and the content of your website looks nice
2) On this page "http://scientologypoole.org.uk/Login.aspx", it still says " By creating an account at nopCommerce ", i guess that needs to be update with your store name
Il y a 13 ans
Thanks for the feedback Mike - there are so many little things here and there I keep finding which I somehow missed before. Details, details... ;)
Glad you found it useful Emanresu.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.