Migrating Custom Sites to nopCommerce - Advice?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
Il y a 6 ans
Hello nop community. My group is preparing to migrate over to nop from some really custom website and admin tools.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a migration and would be willing to share their gotchas or advice on what areas of the system are difficult to work with?

Also, if anyone has recommendations on migration consultants, that would be great.

I've heard great things about the  nop community, so we are excited to get involved and start contributing :).

Thanks,
Dustin
Il y a 6 ans
Hi Dustin,

Welcome to nopCommerce Community :)

Could you please provide some detailed information on what kind of custom website you are trying to migrate from?
What kind of platform?
Il y a 6 ans
Hey, thanks for the question. I've added some detail below on various aspects of our current state.

We have several ecommerce websites (8-10 primary, and 50+ small websites). Difference branding and styling across some of these sites and for others they share a common template.

c# and angular are the primary languages used. We sell complex custom products, included image uploads and size picking between ranges (so a whole lot of SKUs).

We have formulaic pricing and a custom promotion engine that is also quite complex. We are looking forward to being forced into a more standard and simple promotion and pricing logic, so we won't be trying to rebuild the exact nature of our current state with respect to pricing and promotions.

We built all of our own order management portals for admins and have some pretty detailed order management. One functionality we will likely need to add to nop is order line item management (ie. canceling 1 item on an order without canceling the whole order or adding notes to 1 items vs. the whole order). We usually have multiple shipments per order placed.

We will also be integrating with multiple fulfillment vendors (often multiple fulfillment vendors per order).

Hope this help.
Il y a 6 ans
morimli wrote:

We have several ecommerce websites (8-10 primary, and 50+ small websites). Difference branding and styling across some of these sites and for others they share a common template.

We sell complex custom products, included image uploads and size picking between ranges (so a whole lot of SKUs).

Hi:
For me is still not clear what kind of company you are:
- What kind of products are you selling?
- Can you give more details of the 8-10 primary stores?
- Are they selling the same kind of products with the same business process?
- What about the 50+ small websites?

In the past we migrated around 20 stores from different kind of clients (clothing, electronics, automotive, office supplies, florists, etc., etc.) from our own technology into Nop. What we did for each migration project was:
- Review if we should carry the same business process or make some improvements to make better use of new features from Nop and to improve marketing, customer experience, conversion rates, etc.
- Start in Nop from scratch and create a store
- After testing the migrate the main data bases: products and customers. Migration of past orders/returns, sometimes is not done since it can be tricky and complicated for old orders with outdated products and discounts since every platform handles this in a different.
Il y a 6 ans
So more than a migration consultant you will need a developer, if you don't have such resource within your company
Il y a 6 ans
Apologies, I'm trying to abstract it a bit. We sell custom print products (signage, shirts, decor, etc). The different stores are different combinations of those type of products. Some do only shirts, some only rigid signage (yard signs), and some sell a combination. These are often at different prices to appeal to a specific audience or a specific client.

Yeah we would likely not migrate old orders do to incompatible product, pricing, and promotion configurations(which will be a pain point for a while for our support team).

Thanks for your input. We are also hoping to improve some internal order management and content management processes in this transition.
Il y a 6 ans
morimli wrote:
We sell custom print products (signage, shirts, decor, etc). The different stores are different combinations of those type of products. Some do only shirts, some only rigid signage (yard signs), and some sell a combination. These are often at different prices to appeal to a specific audience or a specific client.

Multi-store feature would be ideal for this and will reduce operating and maintenance costs.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.