Adding products to the Parent Category

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 anos atrás
Hello all,

I currently have a parent category "Gifts" with 2 child categories "Gifts for Her" & "Gifts for him" I am trying to work out whether I need to enter product into the parent category as well as one of the child categories?

When I remove a product from the parent category it still displays when I select "Gifts" as the product also belongs to a child category. This doesn't bother me but I wondered if it was best practice to also add it to the parent category?

Am I being stupid to worry about maintaining the parent category if I don't need to or is this just the way to do it so you can have a sort order?

Thanks
11 anos atrás
Richard Ottaway wrote:
Hello all,

I currently have a parent category "Gifts" with 2 child categories "Gifts for Her" & "Gifts for him" I am trying to work out whether I need to enter product into the parent category as well as one of the child categories?

When I remove a product from the parent category it still displays when I select "Gifts" as the product also belongs to a child category. This doesn't bother me but I wondered if it was best practice to also add it to the parent category?

Am I being stupid to worry about maintaining the parent category if I don't need to or is this just the way to do it so you can have a sort order?

Thanks

Maybe it is happening because in admin>configuration>settings>catalog settings you have selected the option: "Include products from subcategories:"
11 anos atrás
When you add a product to a child category it will always (until unpublished, recategorized or removed) show up in the parent category, grandparent category, etc. as that relationship is established by you through Category mappings in admin.; that's the glory of "Category mappings" :-)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.