I'm looking at the code that calculates total package size and I'm pretty concerned. The way total length, total width and total height are calculated in ShipmentPackage.cs is for each of those the respective methods will go through each item in the cart and add all lengths for total length, all widths for total width and all heights for total height. Then, in USPSComputationMethod.cs those are used to to calculate the package size (GetPackageSize method).
The problem is see with this is that the total package size value is way over inflated. Let's consider a simple example: I'm shipping two books with the following L x W x H:
Book #1: 10 x 8 x 0.5
Book @2: 12 x 7 x 0.5

According to Nop the total L = 10 + 12 = 22, Total W = 8 + 7 = 15 and total height = 0.5 = 0.5 = 1
Girth = 15 + 15 + 1 + 1 = 32
Total = tot. lenght + girth = 22 + 32 = 54

But this is not how a person would ship these items. You would stack them up and consider the biggest length, biggest width and total hight to arrive at the total:
Girdth = 2 * 8 + 0.5 + 0. 5 = 17
Total = 12 + 17 = 29

29 versus 54. You see how this difference can quickly go up if we add 1 or 2 more books in the package.

I'm sure this must have been considered so please let me know what I'm missing and why this method was chosen. Thank you.

Rich