GoDaddy Site Transfer to Dedicated Server Full Trust

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 年 前
I plan on moving the site from a virtual server to a dedicated virtual sever with full trust.

Before I listen to "no problem" support/sales at Go Daddy to upgrade and transfer the site, I thought I check here with the wizards first..

What can go wrong?

Do I need to "Rebuild" the project?

I'm hoping the only thing I need to change is the connection string if that.
14 年 前
-Copy files from old server to new server.
- Backup database on old server
- Restore database on new server
- update connectionstring in web.config
- test
14 年 前
Thanks, sounds simple...

really like the last step  "Test"..

In my line of work (Test Equipment), I  usually say "Watch for smoke!"
14 年 前
One thing I ran into when my customer and I migrated from GoDaddy to Appliedi ISPs is that Appliedi does not allow for Full Text Indexed .bak files to be loaded with their back-end "littlesqlbackup" program. I'm thinking there may be other ISPs out there that also do not allow that type of restoration of database from full index backups. In those situations, you'd have to work with the ISP you are attempting to migrate to to install the .bak file appropriately on your behalf. Just fyi, but hopefully the ISP you are moving to will not have that limitation.

Otherwise, you are correct in that all you should have to do is copy and paste the files to your new ftp location, and of course you will need to manually change the connection file to match your new sql server's credentials.
14 年 前
Good Luck.  I have been trying to upgrade my site V1.40 to V1.50 on Godaddy with no luck.  I've tried the automatic and manual upgrades and continue to receive an unhandled exception running v1.50.  MSN says the exception is because the SQL 2005 installation is not running the Service Pack 3 Cumulative Update Package 4.  I contacted Godaddy and was told that I have to wait until the v1.50 is certified by them and available on their website.  Oh, they can't give me any estimated timeframe when this will be completed.  Make sure you have a backup and good luck!
14 年 前
You know.. All this so I can print/email a complete order from admin.....

Got educated real quick and hand a long chat with our IT guru..  He also thinks full trust is not necessarily the right way to go...  Also a crash course on VB, project re-building, IIS and ASP

I think I'm just going to have to add some code on the admin side to do this... I also thought there was a post from someone who did modify his admin section....

Although I'm not a programmer per say, I've been dabbling in code since the days when you had to manually load in a boot strap program with switches on the from panel... Stored on little ferrite rings with some wires wrapped around it...
I think the 10MB (maybe 50MB) hard drive was encased in a 3'x3'x3' bulletproof radiation harden enclosure.

Just enough to be dangerous..
14 年 前
Hi ExtremeJ
I've got 1.50 running on GoDaddy but I'd be interested to know where/how in the app you are getting the problem you mention.
I don't want a customer to find it before me!
14 年 前
MickeyP wrote:
Hi ExtremeJ
I've got 1.50 running on GoDaddy but I'd be interested to know where/how in the app you are getting the problem you mention.
I don't want a customer to find it before me!

MickeyP, I had no problems installing the v1.40 from Go Daddy and the site worked just fine.  I had nothing but problems when trying to upgrade to v1.50 (because I need some of the new features).  I watched all the videos, read all the forum threads but wasn't able to successfully upgrade or install fresh.  I tried copying over the new version of code and running the install scripts; no luck.  I removed site completely and created a blank DB and ran the install scripts; no luck.  Each time I received an unhandled SQL dbreader exception which when I investigated through MSN; said that there was a SQL issue with was patched in SP3 CU4.  The fix resolved trying to read from a zero record table in the db.  I attempted several times to get some support from Go Daddy and they would not provide any details on the current SP and CU running.  They just kept telling me to wait until the new version was available through them.

I didn't wait.  I took Skiltz's advice and moved to softsyshosting.com.  It took no time and I'm up and running on v.150 with complete control over MY DOMAIN.  I have been a long time user of Go Daddy; so I'm not encouraging anyone to switch ( I have 3 other domains with them) but I just couldn't wait for them to catch up in this instance.  I like that softsyshosting is very Windows and .NET friendly; because that's what I use.  Also, I can control the trust level of my domain and the permissions on each of the folders.  Hope this helps.
14 年 前
I had no problems upgrading 1.40 to 1.50 on Godaddy shared Hosting.

First I downloaded 1.50

Opened it up in Visual Studios 2008

Viewed in Browser - Installed on local machine

After that I downloaded my 1.40 from Godaddy. (I made some changes on the server)

copied my template over to 1.50

Created a new styles.css and copied all my old 1.40 css files into it.

copied my connection string and pasted it into the new one.

Signed into Godaddy and navigated to my database. Pasted and ran the upgrade script.

FTP uploaded to Godaddy.

It fired right up.
14 年 前
yes brokensaber,
that's pretty much what I did as well with no problems...
I'm running OK but concerned about how long the site takes to load - it's unacceptable at the moment.
How are you going for performance ?
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.