VERY IMPORTANT: Google Feed doesn't work becaus of missing info

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 年 前
super wrote:
can you plz tell how you used to do this ? plz explain the procedure if possible.

Just tried logging into my account but couldnt as I changed domains and need to re-register. I will take a look tomorrow and reply as it is now 03.47 and got work at 0900:-)

You can submit the feed as i recall in excel or xml format. There is an upload button and you simply browse to the file locally and upload it. It tells you if your data is good and if there any problems. Simply fix them and upload again. There are some attributes that are essential but it also supports any custom attributes you want, colour, weight, height, style etc.

It shouldnt be hard to create an excel or xml template then import the relevant data from a nopcommerce product export.
I will work it out eventually however at the moment I am on a steep learing curve or learning CSS, HTLM, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Quickbooks and so on with a day job inbetween. Burning the candle both ends.
13 年 前
super wrote:
can you plz tell how you used to do this ? plz explain the procedure if possible.

Start here: http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/topic.py?topic=30060

Everything you need to know about merchant center in plain English. Work your way through the guides on the left hand side.
13 年 前
is there any plan in place to address this? would be really useful service to add in- allow mapping products to google categories.
13 年 前
If you have the source code open \PromotionProviders\Nop.Froogle\FroogleService.cs and find the following:

//uncomment and set your product_type attribute
//writer.WriteStartElement("g", "product_type", googleBaseNamespace);
//writer.WriteCData("Clothing & Accessories > Clothing Accessories > Hair Accessories > Hair Pins & Clips");
//writer.WriteFullEndElement(); // g:brand

Uncomment by removing the slashes on lines 2,3,4 and edit line 3 to match your category. Save the file and recompile.

This works globally so only of use if all your products are in same category.

Its a start though and will get your products listed on google.
13 年 前
yikes, yes that will do it, but im curious if anything is in the works for a "real" solution?

also, im curious if a live provider might be built whick always provides google with a fresh product listing. I currently have to always go in and export the list, and point google to the newly generated one. Im running 1.7 though, so maybe this is already enhanced.
13 年 前
I requested this feature before 1.9. It wasnt in the source in 1.8 so probably not in 1.7 either.

I think its an enhancement for 1.9 but I havent seen it listed anywhere. I found it by accident when customising my site.
I am not a developer so I am getting by with trial and error. I have been hoping that some of the veterans may have something useful to contribute but not so yet.

Very curious as to how everyone gets around this issue?
13 年 前
boomhauer wrote:
also, im curious if a live provider might be built...

From about v1.8 [I think?], there is a froogle.ashx file that produces a feed dynamically so you can [as I do] set base/merchant to check for a daily/weekly/monthly feed.

This is something I've done from way back before using nop, [and have an unpublished blog about it that seems a bit superfluous now] and have added this feature to earlier nop builds that use the export style feed with success.

I'll revisit my blog, get my code from an earlier nop version (although if you grab newer source and port it, it should be fairly simple to do), update it all, publish it and hopefully it may help somebody who has the trauma of manually uploading feeds.

Now about the current export library and google merchant. I've noticed that Google, in tha name of improvement, have managed to make a few of my nop sites disappear from base/shopping. This is obviously related to internal changes at google and their way of processing feeds.

One thing that is important but often overlooked in some e-commerce sites is the relationship between the product and the keyword. Where this relationship becomes more significant is in places such as Google Merchant Centre, where the mechanism of finding matching products to searches is all keyword driven.

Take a look at most well organised e-commerce sites, and they are based on an hierarchical structure of categories, sub categories and products that paint the whole picture of a product. If you look at a single product in isolation, this can often reflect a very specific product identifier as a 'keyword' that is obscure or irrelevant. This means the product is lost or performs poorly in [google base] searches.

Now if you take that same product and reflect its 'name' based on its hierarchy (like a concatenated breadcrumb), the product becomes more meaningful and will perform better.

So, what do we do about it?

Well, as mentioned above, uncommenting the additional product_type reference works to an extent, but it is essentially pointless for most sites, as it only permits a single type to be reflected.

If you read http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=160081 for some more details about the product_type attribute and taxonomy, it seems likely that, without too much work, we can use those categories we painstakingly added to our site to reflect a reasonable hierarchy for our product type.

To take this a step further, we could easily add a 'taxonomy' field to the category class to reflect this requirement and write that out to the froogle feed.

And to go even further, given that the article above suggests we can extend the taxonomy, we could add the Google defaults in a drop down, then rely on the category name or add our own text field to append to the product_type so we don't break the nop Categories.

Remember, the product_type is item specific, not feed specific.

I am working on creating some better 'title' attributes on a [nop] site this week, so I might also add a Google product_type selector and/or field in there, so we can play the Google game a little better?

As usual, I'll probably be really slack at documenting anything I do in a meaningful way, but if anyone finds this useful or has any comments, please let me know.

Ed.
13 年 前
that's the enhancement I'm looking for, to be able to assign the google dictated taxonomy to each product. google has a good tool in their merchant services which lets you seach and find good matches in their hierachy, and then you can cut/paste it.. so this would work well for finding the right taxonomy to add to each product.
13 年 前
In a rare moment of clarity, I wrote this up yesterday. It works ok, and I'm going to put the build live later and see how it does.

NOTE: This is for a v1.6 (.NET 3.5) nopCommerce site. It will be close to the requirements for older and newer versions, but will need some adjustments to work. If you aren't familiar with changing nopCommerce source code or you aren't competent with c#, please make sure you back it all up first.  

As mentioned in the blog, it's not a complete solution (yet) but has the basic functionality needed for new Merchant Product Types.

Any questions, please ask.
12 年 前
I've finally got round to doing a version of this for nopCommerce 1.9. See my blog here.

Source files to be added to SourceForge shortly.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.