a conundrum rather than a problem ...

i have several images (I'm not talking about cart product images) which i want to add to various portions of the site, I've been able to add them where i want and display them when i view the site on localhost but on my shared hosting, the images don't appear.

the folder the application resides in on my local machine is called 'bearing-gifts'

and the folder it resides in on my hosting account is the same : 'bearing-gifts' - the hosting account folder has been set as an application and has full permissions. the application works as i expect it to in both environments apart from loading the images.

the path to my graphics is bearing-gifts/graphics

on my local machine, i sometimes use the format

~/graphics/name.png                     and sometimes
/bearing-gifts/graphics/name.png

because depending on what page the image is added to, only one of the two formats work.
BUT,
now that I've uploaded the site, the hosted version will not display any of the images when i use either of these formats.

I've discovered that using an absolute URL or  ../     ( ../graphics/name.png)  works on both local and hosted instances.

Why ?

Adding to the puzzle,  i have an adrotator on the home page reading an .ads file called sample.ads which resides in the App_Data folder.

and, get this -   in the sample.ads file, the url for the image that the adrotator opens has to start  ~/
e.g.

~/graphics/adverts/name.png        (which works nowhere else)

becuase using    ../
e.g.

../graphics/adverts/name.png              won't find the image !!

I can't figure that one out - anybody out there go a theory?
_