I like v1.50, particularly the ability to allow orders even though the product may be out of stock.  I thought this was exactly what the new feature 'Allow out of stock orders' was going to allow.

Unless there is a bug - I was expecting this to work like a backorder function - i.e.  if the product stock level is zero the product would be shown as Out of Stock but an order could still be made (I expected some other text to show against the product in the shopping cart such as "Out of Stock - on backorder and will be despatched once in stock"  or something similar that could be configured as a local resoruce string).

The checkbox  'Allow out of stock orders' doesn't do this.  It seems to simply override the stock level and always show the product as In Stock so it can be ordered.  This negates the usefulness of the feature and gives the customer the impression the item is in stock rather than out of stock but now on backorder.

Is this by design?  If so, I think some small changes for the next version would be very worthwhile to provide a true 'backorder' function.