Shipping by postcode and weight in Australia V1.70

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 anni tempo fa
Hi All, I need some help configuring shipping options. We are based in Australia and due to the nature of our business we have to use a specific courier company for shipping. We only have 2 shipping options, in store pickup and courier.

I have a table/spreadsheet that has all the shipping rates calculated on weight for a given postcode, eg, shipping of a 10kg package to a postcode of 6001 is $20.04, or a 20kg package is $29.10

What I need to be able to do is read the shipping address postcode and shopping cart weight, and then return the calculated shipping rate to the user as an option.

I have looked at the Shipping By Country & Order Weight and the Shipping By Order Weight computation methods, but they are not suitable. I contemplated modifying the Shipping By Country & Order Weight method by adding the postcodes as countries, but this is not feasible as there are approx 3200 unique postcodes.

Does anyone have any suggestions/help ??

Ok, so after thinking about this for a while, i think i can achieve a solution by modifying the Shipping By Country & Order Weight method to Shipping By Postcode & Order Weight - what i need to do is select the postcode from the shipping address instead of country, and retrieve the appropriate value from the SQL table.

My issue now is how can i modify the code to do this? Where do i start?
13 anni tempo fa
Ok, so after thinking about this for a while, i have come up with the following solution:

By using the shipping by country and weight computation method I can achieve what i am after as we only ship within Australia.

I have modified the address screens by hiding the zip/postal code drop down list and replacing it with the country list.

I then added all my postcodes as countries via an sql script, added states in the same way, and then finally added my rates.

A small benefit of this is that I can specify the state related to a postcode, so the postback form the new postcode drop down list automatically fills in the state, ensuring that it is only the state i have assigned to that postcode - less room for error on the shoppers part.

Not an easy task, but much less work than trying to modify the code and the end result is the same.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.