Developer roadmap - 1. Moving to MVC. Your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 anos atrás
Sergio101 wrote:
Please do not move nopCommerce just yet. This would make a lot of installation pretty much useless. Lets wait for HTML5 to see what happens.

hehe :-) yeah, let's see how HTML5 (which is still a draft) will perform in IE6 and in all the other cool browsers from MS ;-)
Seriously: With MVC it should be easy (easier) to build a HTML5 template.
13 anos atrás
danzik17 wrote:

Webforms is OK, but the viewstate is very heavy and more suited to internal/intranet applications where high performance, low bandwidth, and SEO aren't AS critical.  MVC (and it's variants) are pretty much standard for high performing, highly reliable web apps.

There is no reason why the viewstate in NOP has to be so massive. I use other webforms apps that have tiny viewstates. It appears at present that things are being stored in viewstate that just don't need to be there. Optimizing this shouldn't take long (a lot quicker than moving to MVC).

My concern is that MVC seems to be touted as some panacea to sorting out the bottlenecks and problems we're finding in Nop at present. It is not. The current problems aren't inherent to webforms - other software I've used has staggering performance, small viewstates, excellent SEO, and its all running on webforms.
13 anos atrás
Sandman wrote:

Webforms is OK, but the viewstate is very heavy and more suited to internal/intranet applications where high performance, low bandwidth, and SEO aren't AS critical.  MVC (and it's variants) are pretty much standard for high performing, highly reliable web apps.

There is no reason why the viewstate in NOP has to be so massive. I use other webforms apps that have tiny viewstates. It appears at present that things are being stored in viewstate that just don't need to be there. Optimizing this shouldn't take long (a lot quicker than moving to MVC).

My concern is that MVC seems to be touted as some panacea to sorting out the bottlenecks and problems we're finding in Nop at present. It is not. The current problems aren't inherent to webforms - other software I've used has staggering performance, small viewstates, excellent SEO, and its all running on webforms.

You are right, it has to be said.

However, MCV is still the future for ASP.NET, that is plain fact.

Lets get on the rollercoaster now!
13 anos atrás
[quote]

Lets get on the rollercoaster now![/quote]

MCV is still the future for ASP.NET ??
This is not so plain and not so fact at all.
This is your opinion.
13 anos atrás
olga_zov wrote:
[quote]

Lets get on the rollercoaster now!

MCV is still the future for ASP.NET ??
This is not so plain and not so fact at all.
This is your opinion.

yeah, I should have written a disclaimer. *in my opinion.

However, come back and find this thread in 4 years and see who's right :)

HTLM5 is the next 'thing', MVC is better with HTML. Its simple economics.
13 anos atrás
Believe you will see a lot of additional developer support with a MVC effort.  
Would be pretty cool for sure.  Looking forward to the day.
13 anos atrás
thought wrote:

that sounds like a rounded opinion.

:D

Thought is rapidly becoming one of my heroes.
13 anos atrás
The only concern I have in the current design is that the layout can't be changed or overridden without touching the original aspx or ascx files for most of the layout. Would MVC make it more configurable with lesser cost?  and also think about doing upgrading. If MVC makes it easier to change layout and makes upgrade easier, I will vote for it. Also, I would like to see using the "Code First" in the Entity Framework instead of the EBML file approach.
13 anos atrás
splendid wrote:
The only concern I have in the current design is that the layout can't be changed or overridden without touching the original aspx or ascx files for most of the layout. Would MVC make it more configurable with lesser cost?  and also think about doing upgrading. If MVC makes it easier to change layout and makes upgrade easier, I will vote for it. Also, I would like to see using the "Code First" in the Entity Framework instead of the EBML file approach.

Doesn't matter what pattern is used, you're going to need to modify an .aspx page to change the layout.  There's no getting around that.
13 anos atrás
Sandman wrote:

Makes sense to me and sounds fair enough in the interim.  Happen to know if there is optimization for the Viewstate in the works?  If not, maybe I'll start to look into it.

I posted about this in a different thread, but optimization of javascript is also pretty important.  A lot of the client side validation of fields (specifically in ProductsInGrid), is tons and tons of duplicate code.  I was able to reduce my uncompressed pagesize by 44KB just by rolling my own client side validation and disabling the ASP.NET stuff.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.