Developer roadmap - 1. Moving to MVC. Your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 anos atrás
UPDATE:
After having a discussion with the other team members we decided to move nopCommerce 2.00 to MVC 3 with a Razor view engine.
13 anos atrás
Great news Andrei - It's gonna be a new stepping stone for nopCommerce project.
13 anos atrás
Great news - now time to make sure our office is fully upto date with MVC 3 and razor - razor looks brilliant.

When do you expect the release of nopCommerce 2.0?
13 anos atrás
thought wrote:
Great news - now time to make sure our office is fully upto date with MVC 3 and razor - razor looks brilliant.

When do you expect the release of nopCommerce 2.0?

ETA for nopCommerce 2.00 is February 2011
13 anos atrás
Now that the decision has been made, is this change going to be a strictly architectural one or are there more changes in store?  For instance, are changes to the database schema being considered?  Has any consideration been made to implement a service layer using WCF and JSON.  Although MVC is inheirtantly more RESTful I can think of many ways that a web service passing small JSON objects would be more suitable (business logic wise) than a view returning an entire page.  This would allow windows clients to use the same calls as the web site.   What types (if any) of javascript/jQuery libraries are being considered?  Will the MVC version have the same design on the front end as well as the back?

I think it's important to know if any of these types of changes will be made because it directly affects how much time and energy is put into the continued support of nopCommerce < 1.9.  All and all I believe this move is a good one albeit disruptive one.  My point is that given the disruptive nature of this move why not look at everything.

t
13 anos atrás
joebloe wrote:
Now that the decision has been made, is this change going to be a strictly architectural one or are there more changes in store?  For instance, are changes to the database schema being considered?  Has any consideration been made to implement a service layer using WCF and JSON.  Although MVC is inheirtantly more RESTful I can think of many ways that a web service passing small JSON objects would be more suitable (business logic wise) than a view returning an entire page.  This would allow windows clients to use the same calls as the web site.   What types (if any) of javascript/jQuery libraries are being considered?  Will the MVC version have the same design on the front end as well as the back?

I think it's important to know if any of these types of changes will be made because it directly affects how much time and energy is put into the continued support of nopCommerce < 1.9.  All and all I believe this move is a good one albeit disruptive one.  My point is that given the disruptive nature of this move why not look at everything.

t

Agree !!!

In addition to that, we can't deny the fact that all the asp.net developers might or might not have much experience with MVC.

I guess it would be great if nopCommerce team posts some directions / guidelines that needs to be taken into consideration while making changes to the structure/database of existing versions so that it won't affect the upgrading  process from lower version or 1.9v to 2.0 version.

If nop Team find this a feasible idea then, this should be done ASAP as 1.9version in coming in 4-5 days and there are many developers out there who might have many plans for customization.

All these things will help nopCommerce users to upgrade easily from 1.9 to 2.0 without any complications.
13 anos atrás
joebloe wrote:
Now that the decision has been made, is this change going to be a strictly architectural one or are there more changes in store?  For instance, are changes to the database schema being considered?  Has any consideration been made to implement a service layer using WCF and JSON...   ...What types (if any) of javascript/jQuery libraries are being considered?  Will the MVC version have the same design on the front end as well as the back?

I cannot answer now. All these questions are still under discussion.

abcd_12345 wrote:
I guess it would be great if nopCommerce team posts some directions / guidelines that needs to be taken into consideration while making changes to the structure/database of existing versions so that it won't affect the upgrading  process from lower version or 1.9v to 2.0 version.

You can change the structure of your database (as you could do with any previous releases). All that developers have to do (if they want to upgrade customized solutions to nopCommerce 2.00) is to learn MVC =)))
13 anos atrás
I cannot answer now. All these questions are still under discussion.

This is good to hear.  I don't know how much you want to open up the discussion on these types of issues but at the very least I think it is a positive sign that you are considering other changes in light of this major revision.

Don't hesitate to ask for feedback.

t
13 anos atrás
Andrei,

I think moving to MVC would be a big mistake. NopCommerce has this success because it's easy customisable and development for it is pretty easy. It's architecture is a true beauty.

MVC is a very young technology and lacks support for things that make development fast, such as user controls. Also please keep in mind MVC has a very steep learning curve!!! You may be willing to start working on it but the hundreds of developers working with NopCommerce are not. Don't make our lives harder. We have websites we need to maintain, upgrade and develop for. Me and many others will be forced to use the last non-MVC version :(
13 anos atrás
bitstar wrote:
Andrei,

I think moving to MVC would be a big mistake. NopCommerce has this success because it's easy customisable and development for it is pretty easy. It's architecture is a true beauty.

MVC is a very young technology and lacks support for things that make development fast, such as user controls. Also please keep in mind MVC has a very steep learning curve!!! You may be willing to start working on it but the hundreds of developers working with NopCommerce are not. Don't make our lives harder. We have websites we need to maintain, upgrade and develop for. Me and many others will be forced to use the last non-MVC version :(

3 years is not a 'young' technology, 6 months is, not 3 years - we are on to release 3 now!

User controls are a bane to HTTP, good bye and good riddance.

Having said the above, I fully appreciate and understand the learning curve point. However, its never a good idea to rest on your lorals (staying with what you know means in 5 years you will probably be doing just the same thing), there is so much more out there which will only improve your ecommerce offering.

MVC is the way forward for .NET over HTTP, IN MY OPINION

:)

P.S I still haven't fully learnt MVC, I am making my judgement on many years of front end development and 3 years of ASP.NET web forms development, and about 1 month of looking in to MVC...
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.