Developer roadmap - 1. Moving to MVC. Your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 anos atrás
Hello!

About MVC, I would say that I have opposite feelings, I have worked a lot on the previous versions and to think that I would have to lose all that work just makes me sad. But then again if this is an improvement for the future the I guess we all should welcome it!

One question though, is the database also being revamped? Or are we only talking about architecture/code here?

Thanks!

Sebastian Andres
13 anos atrás
Almost every part of nopCommerce is being re-evaluated so it's likely that the database schema will change also.

There will be an upgrade path from 1.90 for your data.
13 anos atrás
It is long time I haven't wrote code in classic Asp.Net since Asp.Net MVC 1 beta1 was here.

If you are moving to MVC, I would like to contribute you as a developer. I was following the Orchard CMS project and they are really successful right now. Maybe you might think about creating a module for Orchard also.

Doga
13 anos atrás
nopCommerce team | retroviz wrote:
Almost every part of nopCommerce is being re-evaluated so it's likely that the database schema will change also.

Is there a chance that we get a preview of the database schema when it has been re-evaluated so we can provide you feedback on it?
13 anos atrás
I have missed much of the conversation about MVC, but I have something to add regarding SEO and MVC.

Due to the extensive use of Javascript within MVC. PLEASE be cognizant and remember to preserve Search Engine Optimization. Javscript can ruin SEO and make a site unfriendly to search engines if you are not careful!
13 anos atrás
@breakskater MVC has absolutely nothing to do with Javascript
13 anos atrás
It's a liiittle bit off- topic, but has to do with MVC:

Telerik Extensions for ASP.NET MVC Open Source GPL (Open Source License)
This is a suitable option if you are building an application for internal use or an open source application with a license compatible with the GNU GPL v2.0.
http://www.telerik.com/purchase/faqs/aspnet-mvc.aspx

Wouldn't these controls be a great enhancement to nopCommerce 2.0 (if possible...) ?
13 anos atrás
@mattro55 I was referring to the ASP.NET MVC Framework

Isn't that the direction we are heading? If so, what will happen to SEO inbound URLs that I want to preserve for SEO Ranking reasons? In other words, will I be able to keep exising URLs, or do I have to contact everybody and give them new URLs? If the URLs change, then it would be nice to add a way to preserve old inbound URLs.

The main point is.. Don't forget about SEO because this is an e-commerce application not just a web application..

Also, we currently have users browesing our site using their cell phones. Will the ASP.NET MVC Framework prevent cell phone users from accessing nopCommerce sites?
13 anos atrás
breakskater wrote:
@mattro55 I was referring to the ASP.NET MVC Framework

Isn't that the direction we are heading? If so, what will happen to SEO inbound URLs that I want to preserve for SEO Ranking reasons? In other words, will I be able to keep exising URLs, or do I have to contact everybody and give them new URLs? If the URLs change, then it would be nice to add a way to preserve old inbound URLs.

The main point is.. Don't forget about SEO because this is an e-commerce application not just a web application..

Also, we currently have users browesing our site using their cell phones. Will the ASP.NET MVC Framework prevent cell phone users from accessing nopCommerce sites?

The routing framework built into mvc is very flexible. Almost 100% flexible. You will be able to preserve all old urls.

Also, if your visiting via mobile will make no difference. An http request is an http request. MVC will allow us to make mobile experience better though (web forms cannot). MVC will allow us to switch views on the fly depending on the device used.
13 anos atrás
A little development request that has nothing to do with MVC, but I don't know where else to put it.

Could you make all public methods in service classes virtual? I have found a way to insert my own service instead of the core nopCommerce code. However, it would be nice if I could simply subclass the original service and override needed methods instead of reimplementing entire class.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.