Developer roadmap - 1. Moving to MVC. Your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
13 anos atrás
I must say I am excited to watch codplex SVN commits  - I am currently building a throw away MVC app to learn, so It will be interesting to see how you structure nopCommerce in comparison to my own.
13 anos atrás
thought wrote:
I must say I am excited to watch codplex SVN commits  - I am currently building a throw away MVC app to learn, so It will be interesting to see how you structure nopCommerce in comparison to my own.

Hopefully better than your self-declared 'throwaway app'. ;)

I highly recommend following the very detailed NerdDinner tutorial. It's an awesome end-to-end walkthrough that covers the vast majority of ASP.NET MVC topics and takes only about a day to complete.
13 anos atrás
Two Thumbs Up for moving to the MVC design pattern...
Have been working with the asp.net version since it was introduced and would not want to go back to web-forms...

Exited to see version 2.0

Oliver
13 anos atrás
I agree about the "all or nothing" approach. MVC in my opinion is the best UI framework. I haven't had the time to dive in head first so looks like I'll have too :)
13 anos atrás
thought wrote:

Yes, the DI/IoC and unit tests are melting away all of my pain points with nopCommerce. Where do I buy some merchandise? T-Shirt? Mug? I'd rock it. lol

I also just noticed that you guys are using mercurial. Please tell me that you will be accept forks. When 2.0 is released, your gonna have enough of my forks to throw a thanksgiving dinner.
13 anos atrás
I'm pretty much a clone of beekde and agree 100%. I cannot wait for nop 2.0 to come out and start contributing. I'm currently building a clients site based on S#arp Architecture, but would consider switching if 2.0 was out soon.
Spark and Razor View Engines are a joy to code with.
13 anos atrás
I have been playing around with nopcommerce for some weeks. I really appreciate the effort that went into this project. It's a great shopping cart.

The improvements that is happening in the nopcommerce is good, like the change from repository to service model. However I fear so many drastic changes can piss off developers. The move to mvc may not be a good idea. The administration UI does not have to change to mvc. Making the front end to mvc adds too much loosely coupled components - it helps testability but anyone care about writing unit tests?

I'm currently using an expensive asp.net shopping cart. In the beginning of this year, USPS modified the names of the international shipping options. Our shopping cart was broken. I don't have sources to modify or support from the company. In addition, we run a version for which they did not release a patch. I had to change the shipping carrier, so the business can run. This is one of those incidents that make the business to rely on a software. I don't know the market's trust in nopcommerce. I assume not much. That has to change, so the focus needs to change to making the software more solid, zero bugs rather than making so many architectural changes. I say this jokingly "changes are good for consultants, but not for the business".
13 anos atrás
varghesep wrote:
I have been playing around with nopcommerce for some weeks. I really appreciate the effort that went into this project. It's a great shopping cart.

The improvements that is happening in the nopcommerce is good, like the change from repository to service model. However I fear so many drastic changes can piss off developers. The move to mvc may not be a good idea. The administration UI does not have to change to mvc. Making the front end to mvc adds too much loosely coupled components - it helps testability but anyone care about writing unit tests?

I'm currently using an expensive asp.net shopping cart. In the beginning of this year, USPS modified the names of the international shipping options. Our shopping cart was broken. I don't have sources to modify or support from the company. In addition, we run a version for which they did not release a patch. I had to change the shipping carrier, so the business can run. This is one of those incidents that make the business to rely on a software. I don't know the market's trust in nopcommerce. I assume not much. That has to change, so the focus needs to change to making the software more solid, zero bugs rather than making so many architectural changes. I say this jokingly "changes are good for consultants, but not for the business".

Consider the architectural changes gearing up for a new era of nopCommerce. An area of true extensibility/plugins and less bugs (via TDD, including the UI layer!).
13 anos atrás
theonlylawislove wrote:
Consider the architectural changes gearing up for a new era of nopCommerce. An area of true extensibility/plugins and less bugs (via TDD, including the UI layer!).

I agree we need extensibility and plugins. Is this for new features? Look at miva merchant. They have a very barebone shopping cart, a lot of the features comes as plug-ins and you pay for them. In my opinion, nopcommerce is a feature rich application. If you are talking about integration with third party applications, that may work with plug-in architecture.
13 anos atrás
theonlylawislove wrote:

Exactly. This change is only a good thing - who cares if it pisses of developers who have no motivation to move with the times? ASP.NET Web Forms is an old model aimed at application developers, not web developers. You will only be happy once you have learned MVC.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.