Database selection

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hace 6 años
Hi,

Planning to use NopCommerce and I wanted to ask which database should I use. I run on a low budget and I saw Azure is quite expensive for SQL server. On the other hand SQL Server express is limited in terms on DB size and performance.  Since no other database is supported at the time being I have to decide whether to go for NopCommerce or find any solution that supports free database.

Anyone with experience here can assist with some information like:

On SQL Server Express:
1. how many products can be hosted?
2. what about orders and other big tables in size?

I don't want exact numbers just an approximation so that I can make my calculations and select the best option for me?

Thanks
Hace 6 años
Hello,

SQL Server Express comes with 10 GB of limit per Database. If you ask about only uploading products to this database and if you do not have much complicated configurations for products and their attributes, in that case you can upload near about 50,000 - 100,000 products in this database as per my calculation. But for this, you need to store images in file system because that takes most of space.

Instead of using Azure, you can buy services from any other provider such as SmarterASP or Contabo..

Hope this would help you..

Thank you,
Atul
Hace 6 años
1. How do I store images on file system?

2. "in that case you can upload near about 50,000 - 100,000 products in this database as per my calculations" What about orders. Does this estimation of yours includes orders?

3. I already own some Contabo machines but they don't offer SQL Server services. You have to purchase a VPS or physical server and install sql server yourself (free SQL Server Express) whereas in Azure sql server can be purchased based on DTU's and size of the database.
Hace 6 años
pantonis wrote:
1. How do I store images on file system?

Admin -> Configuration -> Settings -> Media Settings. In the "Common" section, "Pictures are stored into..." should be File system instead of Database. You can change it anytime to Database in future.

pantonis wrote:
2. "in that case you can upload near about 50,000 - 100,000 products in this database as per my calculations" What about orders. Does this estimation of yours includes orders?

If you talk about records in database that would be a single row with some rows in other tables too. For example, if one record including its hold in other tables is not much complicated, then what space it would take? Few kb's..

Based on that, I estimated that almost you can store 100,000 products in Database and may be many orders too. In some cases, I have seen more than 10,000 orders and around 500-1000 products and other info as well just reached around 2-3 GB in whole database size..

pantonis wrote:
3. I already own some Contabo machines but they don't offer SQL Server services. You have to purchase a VPS or physical server and install sql server yourself (free SQL Server Express) whereas in Azure sql server can be purchased based on DTU's and size of the database.

Yes. But to start with I think you can also use SmarterASP services as well or use your own VPS if you want to cut down costs. Azure or any other cloud will be costly in terms of RAM and DB.

NopCommerce RAM usage are high sometimes.. It consumes around 1 - 2 GB RAM in some scenarious..

Thank you,
Atul
Hace 6 años
Apart from images anything else that I can save to filespace for saving DB Space (e.g logs)?
Hace 6 años
pantonis wrote:
Apart from images anything else that I can save to filespace for saving DB Space (e.g logs)?

Nope.. I don't think I am missing anything..
Hace 6 años
OK Thanks a lot.

One last question. Do you know if it supports MySql?

Thanks
Hace 6 años
Hello,

No. You can try to code nopCommerce for MySQL but it does not supports out of box any other database rather than Ms-SQL

Thank you,
Atul
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.