500 internal server error version 1.7....more permissions maybe?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hace 13 años
Photoball, I am glad that you were able to find help in a thread that I started to get help for myself. Anyone else see anything questionable there?

I cruised around the forums for hours trying to find answers, but at some point, it is just easier to move on. I have also tried many carts in the past, and it appears that I will never know how well this one would have worked, so I can't really judge it against the others. I can say that the support in the forum is something to be worked on, though.
Hace 13 años
Just tried to update from 1.6 to 1.7.  What a nightmare . . . don't do it unless you know exactly what to do.  I have rolled back to 1.6.  Issues:
1.   No documentation that I could find about the proceedure so I just copied over the files (after backing up database and the files).  Copied over the connection strings.
2.   Site would not come up - just reported server errors
3.   Changed IIS to use ASP.net 4.0
4.   Now received permission errors - the site asked me to log in.  Checked permissions and all were OK from what I could see.  Looked for documentation and forum notices but could not find any except this one
5.   Freeked out at this stage - rolled back the files.  The site would still not come up.  Finally remebered to set back the ASP.net version to original (2.0 in my case).  Whew . . .

All was OK.  The site is back up.  

Now I love NOPCommerce.  Powerful, configurable but you really are pretty much on your own as the development team do not publish usable documentation and the forums seem very thin (my fault as well I guess which is why I am documenting my experiences).  Please provide some documentation on upgrades - particularly when it is a major chnage like this . . . my apologies if the documentation is actually there and I could not find it or if I have done something really dumb.  
Peter
Hace 13 años
Now a week since I posted and no replies from the development team.  Sad really.  This is how a good product can die when it is not supported.
Hace 13 años
I think nopCommerce and the development team may need some improvement but I feel I must defend the team at some level.
From what I understand, this product is created by a few developers on the other side of the world. They probably have their own lives/families/jobs and nopCommerce started as an investment idea which (thank G-d) took off. They are probably doing as well as they had hoped but at this time THEY'RE STILL WORKING FOR FREE! They probably dedicate most of their spare time to furthering the development of the product and not really focusing all of their attention on the forum.
Maybe they can hire someone to monitor the forum but hiring people cost money and the questions can really only be answered by the development team themselves.
Therefore, on their behalf I ask you to please be patient and wait until they start charging for their product before you demand full support of a product that (for the most part) does its job out of the box.
I have been a little let down by this forum myself but I have no complaints because it's definitely worth the price (nothing, or $50 to remove the "Powered by" link).
I am a developer and I understand your frustration with the forum. I too am at a standstill because of this .NET 4.0 upgrade but that just means I'm sticking to 1.60 for a while, which I must remind you is still free.

This product will improve because they get the feedback from "the people." Going somewhere else might be your answer but my suggestion is to please be patient with them while they catch up with their success and expand their company.
Hace 13 años
peters4oz wrote:
Now a week since I posted and no replies from the development team.  Sad really.  This is how a good product can die when it is not supported.

I think you'd probably be more likely to get help if you posted the full error message you received...  dropping the attitude wouldn't hurt either.
Hace 13 años
someone metioned about using the same connections strings. I did this and got the same error but when i deleted the string all the setup started to work.

hope this helps
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.