Tax by Country/State question

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
15 years ago
Hi there Guys,

New to NopCommerce but really enjoying using it.
I have got my store setup and working fine locally, however i have got 1 issue that i would like to resolve.

I have setup my site to use TAX by country/State and i have set it to United Kingdom Tax 15%.

The problem i have is that i would like the customer to see the price of the product (including TAX) but then the tax be calculated, then the shipping but i DON'T want the TAX to be calculated in the final Total. (so TAX is included in the item price.)

At the minute the calculation is as follows -

product price
+
TAX
+
Shipping

= Total

so.... my question is, can you amend the Tax so it is shown to the customer but NOT calculated in the final total?

Regards

John
15 years ago
It's on the road map. I hope the including VAT option is added sooner then later.
15 years ago
Thank-you for the reply.
I saw that it was on there but wondered if there was a way of just removing the calculation of including TAX from the TOTAL to do a quick fix.....

Really i just wanted to know which file did the addition of the shopping cart TOTAL to remove the inclusion of TAX.

Oh well better wait for the next release!
(unless anyone else can point me in the right direction

:)

regards
john
15 years ago
John,

Unfortunately VAT calculation will not be included in the next release but I will see if I can create a temporary work around in the meantime (you could of course enter your prices excluding vat and then the tax calculations will be correct).

Thanks,
Ben
15 years ago
Hi there,

Thank-you for your response.
Is it not the case that if i amended the products price then the incorrect amount of Tax will be worked out?

for example:

at the minute i have a test product @ £40
the Tax rate for UK is 15%
This works out at £6 TAX (which is currently being added to the final Total)

If i amend the price of the product to £34, wouldn't the 15% TAX be worked out on the £34 (not £40)?

therefore this would be

Product price £34 (excluding VAT)
Plus VAT @ 15% = £5.10
This then works out to be £39.10.

I agree that it is as close as i can get it at the minute but i need it to be exact.

If you COULD do me a quick work around, i.e change the final order total to include product price & shipping but exclude TAX that would be great.

The fact the the TAX is shown on the order is brilliant as it shows you what percentage of the Products price IS Tax but in my case i don't want to then add it again to the Total.

(Brilliant ecommerce solution by the way!!)

Kind Regards

John
15 years ago
hello John

what you could temporarely do is the following
1 - set the product price including VAT.
2 - Add a general setting Option "VatIncluded"
3 - at the checkout, modify your code to check if the "VatIncluded" is true, deduct the vat percentage from teh price and display the correct amounts.
4 - remember to modify the total calculation not to add the vat to the order total.

hope this helps temporarely.
15 years ago
I like the sound of that sch09.
Only one quick question though, which file contains the total calculation in the solution?
Regards

John
15 years ago
look at the shoppingcartmanager in the common library.
15 years ago
d-print wrote:

for example:

at the minute i have a test product @ £40
the Tax rate for UK is 15%
This works out at £6 TAX (which is currently being added to the final Total)

If i amend the price of the product to £34, wouldn't the 15% TAX be worked out on the £34 (not £40)?

therefore this would be

Product price £34 (excluding VAT)
Plus VAT @ 15% = £5.10
This then works out to be £39.10.

Hi John,

In your calculation you have calculated 15% of the price including vat to get your price excluding vat. But this is not how you should calculate VAT.

public decimal GetPriceIncludingVAT(decimal priceExcludingVAT)
{
  return ((priceExcludingVAT/100)*(100 + VAT));
}

public decimal GetPriceExludingVAT(decimal priceIncludingVAT)
{
  return ((priceIncludingVAT * 100)/(100 + VAT));
}

So if you know that you want to sell your product for £40. Then to get price excluding vat:

= ((40.00 * 100)/(100 + 15.00))
= (4000/115)
= £34.78

So if you set your tax to 15% and save your product price as £34.78 when the customer pays for the product they will be charged like below:

Apple iPOD Touch 16GB MP3/MP4 Player    
£34.78 (GBP)  

Sub-Total:  £34.78 (GBP)  
Tax:  £5.22 (GBP)  
Shipping:  £0.00 (GBP)  
Total:  £40.00 (GBP)  

Is this not what you require?

I agree this is not the best work around as you will have to display your products with price excluding vat which is not the norm for most UK consumer sites.

Similar to sch09's suggestion you could override the tax value at the shopping cart to just calculate the vat using functions above and display this value to the customer.

Hope this helps,
Ben
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.