Azure web apps VS Azure vms - Performance - Should we migrate to VM?

4 years ago
Hello.

We are currently running 10 Nopcommerce solution as web apps in azure. We feel like the solution requires too much resources, when a store has 100+ users at the same time (seen in analytics).

At the moment we have 1 site running in a stand alone service plan on A PV2V2 (420 total ACU,7 GB memory).
If the site gets 100+ users it will probably scale up to a new instance.

We are thinking about the possibility to migrate to VMs because we might have a huge customer on hand. The store would probably have 200+ concurrent users at all times, and much more on days with campaigns.

Before we start testing VMs, i have some questions:
1. Would a VM be able to have more concurrent users before needing load balancing?
2. Would i run the DB itself on the VM for the Nopcommerce solution for performance gain, or have a separate SQL server VM?
3. How does Nopcommerce handle load balancing in VMs? Perfect?
4. When the site is running 2 instance on version 3.8, it sometimes created a order 2 times when the response comes from the payment provider. This is probably fixed in newer versions? I have "RunningOnAzure" and "MultipleInstances" as true.
5. Will "MultipleInstances" as true be problematic if the site is running only 1 instance.
6. Does redis cache work in VMs? I tested it on 4.1, and it didnt feel that great. Some random errors, and no better performance.
7. Nopcommerce 3.8 seems rather chatty to the DB. Is this changed in newer versions?

If there has been any specific changes to performance on Nopcommerce running as web apps after version 3.8, please let me know.
4 years ago
hkreklame wrote:
Hello.

We are currently running 10 Nopcommerce solution as web apps in azure. We feel like the solution requires too much resources, when a store has 100+ users at the same time (seen in analytics).

At the moment we have 1 site running in a stand alone service plan on A PV2V2 (420 total ACU,7 GB memory).
If the site gets 100+ users it will probably scale up to a new instance.

We are thinking about the possibility to migrate to VMs because we might have a huge customer on hand. The store would probably have 200+ concurrent users at all times, and much more on days with campaigns.

Before we start testing VMs, i have some questions:
1. Would a VM be able to have more concurrent users before needing load balancing?
2. Would i run the DB itself on the VM for the Nopcommerce solution for performance gain, or have a separate SQL server VM?
3. How does Nopcommerce handle load balancing in VMs? Perfect?
4. When the site is running 2 instance on version 3.8, it sometimes created a order 2 times when the response comes from the payment provider. This is probably fixed in newer versions? I have "RunningOnAzure" and "MultipleInstances" as true.
5. Will "MultipleInstances" as true be problematic if the site is running only 1 instance.
6. Does redis cache work in VMs? I tested it on 4.1, and it didnt feel that great. Some random errors, and no better performance.
7. Nopcommerce 3.8 seems rather chatty to the DB. Is this changed in newer versions?

If there has been any specific changes to performance on Nopcommerce running as web apps after version 3.8, please let me know.

I would like to add the following:
3. Does nopcommerce support the use of viritual scale sets in azure?
2 years ago
I'm looking for similar advice...
Did you end up going with Azure VM for windows/IIS and another Azure VM for SQL?
How are things working out?

Thanks!
1 year ago
This is a pain point for nopCommerce. There is little guidance on this subject. It would be nice to have recommended hosting/server requirements to support X concurrent users.

I need to support 5k concurrent users. Wish me luck.
8 months ago
Hey Dutchroberts, which way did you end up going? Any advice?
I'm still on-prem but always looking for Azure options.