Multiple nopCommerce sites on 1 database

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
14 years ago
Hi

Anyone out there looking at the possibility of running multiple nopCommerce sites off one SQL database?

Its a technique we use for a number of non shopping cart sites and it simplifies administration (1 database login) and is cheaper (i pay for each database implementation) thus saving me money :)

We use a number of methods to ensure the data integrity

1. Have a site id/identifier that is passed through any database calls ensuring we only get the data we should do
or
2. simply duplicate all the tables and prefix tables / SP's with a site name - so nop_address for example would become nop_store1_address and another site could be nop_store2_address

Obviously its not just a case of "edit install scripts" (although thats a major part of it!) there are a number of implications for the database layer/handler etc and when there is a new release we would have to tailor scripts and so on to take account of the multiple site structure.

Just interested if anyone is thinking along these lines - if so we could pool knowledge/resources and share the pain together.

Cheers

Steve
14 years ago
We are in progress of developing a multishop function, so we can have several shops on the same database, each shop will have a unique look and we will be able to have unique prices/languages/currencies/descriptions etc. for each shop and choose wich products will be displayed in every shop, the only common thing will be the Inventory control.
Everything will be through the same admin.

We need this feature for full language support , wholesale/retail customers and multiple domains.

I dont know exactly if this is what you need but if youre interested then maybe we can share the cost?
14 years ago
Very cool!  I would love to hear updates on this project as it progresses.  What is the current status right now?
14 years ago
alex2009  - we would be interested in working together - how can we get in touch?
My work email is [email protected] - drop me a line and we can pick up from there.

Cheers

Steve
14 years ago
hi guys,

i would love to participate in this. great idea and very usefull.
14 years ago
I don't know why this is a problem. On my development laptop, I run 3 independent nopCommerce that shares 1 SQL 2005 server. No problem at all. Just set up 3 databases with deferent names and config the IIS server to assign IP addresses to each site.
14 years ago
Thats what i do locally (1 sql server but many databases) - but i want 1 SQL database with multiple NOP sites in it.
I am trying to keep costs low and administration and maintenance easy.
Cost
     I get charged per database - so if i have 1 database with many sites - its cheaper
Administration
    With 1 database i can administer it with 1 VPN connection and 1 Master database login, if they are separate databases i may end up with many VPN connections (to my remote hosting) and having to login to each one.
Updates/changes can be applied in one place.
Depending on the way we identify the sites it can also mean that 1 code release can update ALL the sites and not have to update each individual site.

=============================================================================
Those that wanted to take this further
Email me at [email protected] and we can start the process of confusion ;-)

Cheers
14 years ago
Please email me if you are interested of going futher with the multishop solution, we have some more features in progress and I can email you info about what we are going to develop.
This is not anything we will be giving out for free, we are looking for people that wants the same features as we do and are willing to share the costs for delvelopment.

You can email me at [email protected]
14 years ago
Please share the idea how I can mange the multiple shops to share the same DB.
14 years ago
Has this proceeded any further? I tried emailing but got a failed delivery notification.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.