License Question - Using NopCommerce as a basis for a more product specific design

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Hi All,

My first post, and I've just got to congratulate the NopCommerce team on such a feature rich and well written piece of software - and it's open source - excellent!

I have been researching ecommerce solutions in ASP.Net, as I am embarking on my own open source ecommerce project, that will be a plugin for Umbraco (the current solutions are either flakey, or commercial)..

I looked at NopCommerce, and it would seem to make an excellent choice as a starting block for development of my project. My project will handle more specific product needs, and the products area of the database will be considerably reworked to handle this.

Whilst I am keen to handle as much of the coding as I can, some utility classes, and the overall design patterns of NopCommerce will be referenced throughout development. I'm going to do an SSADM analysis on NopCommerce as my original system, and work from there.

As my old programming lecturer pointed out to me, there's no point reinventing the wheel, so I was just wondering if someone could clarify the ramifications of utilizing some of the NopCommerce codebase in my application.

I will be happy to state quite clearly what came from where, and will openly promote NopCommerce and it's community on my own little os site, when the time is right.

I hope to develop a similar monetary model (charge for a manual, copyright removal), as I have to eat, and here is where I'm most concerned about using parts of the NopCommerce source, and it's overall design pattern..

Licenses probably state all this, but if someone could guide me in plain "can do this, can't do that" speak, I'd be very grateful. I suppose my solution could be seen as an extension of the NopCommerce ethos, and I will be happy to give back to this community what i can (and of course, my code will be freely available too).

Cheers in advance.
12 years ago
Anybody???
12 years ago
You can find GPL explained here. Info about copyright removal key can be found here
12 years ago
Thanks for your input, I'll have a read over those :)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.