Why don't you use normal .net resources, the .resx files?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Is there any special reason for storing locale data in the database?
(it's much easier to update resources when using .resx files)
12 years ago
design choice - but resource files have to be recompiled - not optimum
12 years ago
alakibalaki wrote:
Is there any special reason for storing locale data in the database?
(it's much easier to update resources when using .resx files)

I think the text in parenthesis is an opinion :P. You can modify resource strings via the administration section and you have the capabilities to mass import resource strings for different languages. *.resx files would complicate the system by requiring additional files to be stored for every language installed and this means *.resx files will need to be distributed with their plugins as well. How do you manage so many *.resx files in a web environment? It is nice to have a central location for all resources.

p.s. locale data is cached in memory on the website so subsequent hits on the database or file system are not required.
12 years ago
excellent observations Skyler!  and having worked with a ton of web apps that use resource files - I hate them - just my humble opinion
12 years ago
For my portals, I use mojoportal.
I haven't had an issue with Resource files.

but with nopcommerce:
I have to edit xml file, then pass some pages in administration of both deployment and development servers to change resources.
also I had to contact the host to increase the threshold of sql, and I'm afraid I'll may have issues with other hosts.
also editing the xml is another issue.
when mass importing, it takes some time, and in a day, a lot of time is wasted. (I am optimizing the persian translation, and unfortulately, it needs many changes)

but with resource files, I just changed them in local, and copied them to server whenever I liked.
12 years ago
Im using .po files in my extensions in nop. This uses the gnu gettext() function. Easier then in nop because during compilation all local texts are fetched from .cs files and automatically updated.

The .po files can be edited with poedit and then translated.

The greast thing about .po files is while editing you can see where the text is used.

Not much help for you now but maybe nop can use it.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.