No App_Data folder

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
This is a real problem because I do not find any references in the forums about a missing App_Data folder.

If I get this worked out maybe it will help others.

Straight to the point: The script to upgrade to 2.1 instructs me to "Remove all files from the previous version except App_Data\Settings.txt and App_Data\InstalledPlugins.txt.' There is no App_Data folder.

More information...

The site url is shop.drosdick.net. 1.9 is the installed version. It appears to work just fine; except for the fed ex calculation giving different results for shipping costs than the fed ex web site.

I used the Web Platform Installer to install 1.9.

I found a settings table in the DB and it looks like it's got all the settings. But from reading the forums I am afraid to attempt an upgrade.

I read that when using wen matrix the settings are stored in App_Data\settings.txt. I did not use web matrix I used the web platform installer. I think that's why I don't have the app_data folder.

I also found this: This is my latest video for the 1.9 upgrade to 2.0

It's an excellent video by the way!

I think I will try to follow the video and see how it turns out.
12 years ago
So, I tried to upgrade to 2.1 by doing the following:

1. Stop the web site in IIS.
2. backup sql db.
3. backup web site folder and content.
4. Delete the content of the web folder.
5. extract v2.1(no source) to the web folder. (At this point I browsed to the web site just because. It seemed to work although I did not relly DO anything, the site came up with no errors or products.)
6. Run the sql upgrade scripts to go from 1.9 >> 2.0 >> 2.1. The first script got erros the second did not.

When I browse to the site I had categories but no products.

I also tried to run the SQL script to upgrade the db from 1.9 >> 2.1. This failed big time! (As I thought it would!)

I recovered the db and the web folder from my backup and now it does not calculate fed ex rates at all.

I know I can try to fix this but it looks like I created a bigger problem for myself. Since my store is not open and I was in the final stages for configuring/testing the site I think I will just start over with 2.1 and whine about for a while!

jim
12 years ago
One more thing...

The reason I have decided to manually upgrade to 2.1 is because the SQL scripts for the upgrade generated multiple errors indicating, among other things, foreign key problems.

Are the FK problems due to issues going from 1.9>>2.0>>2.1?
Are they from bad code, allowing data that is not valid?

I think it's probably an upgrade issue and I hope it's not bad code.

If I wait for the WPI/2.2 upgrade, I expect I will still have the foreign key problems and a bigger problem.

If I start over right now I will not have as much work to do. I would also like to think that the problems will be solved for the next upgrade.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Jim
12 years ago
You need only to upgrade DataBase from 1.9 to 2.0 then 2.0 to 2.1

Also upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0 will not work if you have sample products installed. Make sure there is only settings and products that you have created.
As you seen in my video I was able to do everything without errors.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.