2.0 Shipping - Only one choice in Select shipping method

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I've set up FedEx
Carrier Services Offered:
FedEx Ground
FedEx ground home
FedEx Standard Overnight

Yet, when I checkout, I only see 1 choice in Select shipping method - FedEx Ground
How can I get it to allow customer to choose?

(EDIT - actually it's nop 2.1)
12 years ago
If both "FedEx Ground" and "FedEx Ground Home Delivery" carrier services are selected, customers will only see one of them, never both, as "FedEx Ground" is for business delivery and "FedEx Ground Home Delivery" is for residential delivery. If "Use residential rates" is checked, the "FedEx Ground Home Delivery" service is shown to customers (FedEx charges more for residential delivery).

If you have selected the "FedEx Standard Overnight" carrier service, it should always show provided it is returned as a rate from FedEx (the request is within weight and dimension limits for the service). I just tested the 2.10 FedEx Shipping rate computation method (with both test and production credentials) using the services you mentioned in your post and was able to receive rates for "FedEx Standard Overnight" along with a ground option. Are you shipping large or very heavy items?

12 years ago
mb wrote:
Are you shipping large or very heavy items?.

Yes, that was it.  (I didn't notice product was case of 100 :)

mb wrote:
If "Use residential rates" is checked, the "FedEx Ground Home Delivery" service is shown to customers (FedEx charges more for residential delivery).

This is a real flaw (IMHO).   Store owner ships to both.  How can he expect to know whether customer is home or commercial address?

Address record itself should have a field/checkbox "Is Residential Address?"

(nop Team - any plans on changing this?   Has anyone else coded this change?)
12 years ago
Would the nop Team please consider that Address record itself should have a field/checkbox "Is Residential Address?" ?
12 years ago
I've created a proposed work item (here). But actually I've never seen it on other e-commerce sites.
12 years ago
Thanks.  I've done some research - we may not need it, but others should weigh in because...

I've started investigating FedEx's Address Validation Web Service.  It validates the US street address, and indicates if it is residential.  It's an easy interface, and I can add it to the fed Ex shipping plugin.  Caveats:
1) Address validation is considered an "Advanced" API - It requires a higher level of "certification", but a developer can act on behalf of a "Corporate" account to bypass the wait.
2) I got such account on behalf of one of my customers, but it seems like there is still a short waiting period to activate it, so I cannot complete my tests.
3) UPS has its own Address Validation web service.  I don't think I have time to investigate/code another one right now.  My customers primarily use FedEx.
I can provide the FedEx one as a standalone plugin, but without integration to shipping plugin I don't see the value...
Unless...  maybe the "Is residential field" is added to the nop Address, and then address validation is done at address entry time and the field set then.   The store owner still requires a production FedEx account to be able to access the service.

So, what I ponder is whether we need separate address validation service built into each shipping plugin, vs. an address validation plugin that could be used by anyone - the nopTeam may have to provide appropriate hooks.

(I'm curious:  Those of you not in the US, do you have different rates for shipping to residential?)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.