Does anybody like EF ?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Good day.

I'm trying to make some changes in the database access layer. And I've already spent hours and days fighting with EF. I think it is a very unfriendly "back box". But I'm a newbie in this framework and maybe just don't understand its advantages.

So, the question is: am I alone in my thoughts about this technology? Are there men who think that it was a good idea to use it in nopCommerce 2.x ?

Thank you in advance,
Serge.
12 years ago
Hi Serge,

You can also have a look at nHibernate implementation here. Or you don't like all ORM tools?
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Or you don't like all ORM tools?

I like nHibernate. I like Linq2Sql. I hate EF. Thank you for the link.
12 years ago
Serge Gusev wrote:
Good day.

I'm trying to make some changes in the database access layer. And I've already spent hours and days fighting with EF. I think it is a very unfriendly "back box". But I'm a newbie in this framework and maybe just don't understand its advantages.

So, the question is: am I alone in my thoughts about this technology? Are there men who think that it was a good idea to use it in nopCommerce 2.x ?

Thank you in advance,
Serge.

Entity Framework has its own unique quirks like any ORM, but moving from Fluent nHibernate to Entity Framework was a pretty easy transition for me. In all of my nopCommerce projects I've been making extensive changes to the data layer with just as much frustration (if any) as I've had with projects using nHibernate.

What exactly are the frustrations you're having? What are you trying to do? With more information we would be able to give better guidance and help you solve the problem.

http://blog.csharpwebdeveloper.com/2011/09/10/updating-an-existing-entity-in-nopcommerce-2-0/

p.s. I don't see why using EF would be any worse a decision than nHibernate for nopCommerce.
12 years ago
skyler.severns wrote:
What exactly are the frustrations you're having?

1. I have no found the way to map an entity to function with parameters returning dataset.

2. Linq to Entities has some unpleasant restrictions (here). The most important is Referencing Non-Scalar Variables Not Supported. They promised to fix it more than year ago.

In nopCommerce 1.9 I quite easy implemented "one application -> few sites" tecnology with different prices for each site with one database. I've spent a week trying to do this in nopCommerce 2.1 without success.
12 years ago
Serge Gusev wrote:
I have no found the way to map an entity to function with parameters returning dataset.

Have a look at changetset. Stored procedures will be supported  in version 2.20
12 years ago
a.m. wrote:
Stored procedures will be supported  in version 2.20

Excellent news, thank you!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.