Product variants vs Product Attributes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Hi all,

This might be a really stupid question, but could anyone shed any light on the differences between Variants and Variant Attributes. I realise that a variant allows you to provide a different SKU, title, description etc - whereas an attribute is just color/size etc...but then again some online vendors might list a size as a different variant??

so my question is where would you use a variant rather than an attribute...is it really down to how the vendor classifies their prducts?

I also note that you can provide a long description etc for a variant, yet each variant doesnt have it's own page so where is this information ever shown to the user?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thnaks
Al
12 years ago
higgsy wrote:
Hi all,

This might be a really stupid question, but could anyone shed any light on the differences between Variants and Variant Attributes. I realise that a variant allows you to provide a different SKU, title, description etc - whereas an attribute is just color/size etc...but then again some online vendors might list a size as a different variant??

so my question is where would you use a variant rather than an attribute...is it really down to how the vendor classifies their prducts?

I also note that you can provide a long description etc for a variant, yet each variant doesnt have it's own page so where is this information ever shown to the user?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thnaks
Al

Variant attributes are more oriented to products with add-ons such as in build your own computer here or very standard variations in size such as in clothes Example here

Variants let you presenta more complex variations of the same product. For instance can have for each variant (besides a an image, short description, price, weight, etc.) different discounts, tier prices. See  examples in demo store/admin here and here. As other examples we are using variats in:
- for presenting various plans for analogic radio services which vary in types and pricing. Example.
- selling the same model of shoes for different size ranges: kids (12-15), teens (15-20), adulsts (23-28).
- selling chemicals in which same product can have different options (1/4 lt. 1/2 lt., 1 lt. ...)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.