Any reason to NOT upgrade from v1.6 to current version?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Since it's been a few years since we've setup v1.6, is there any reason to not upgrade?  About how long does such a task take for an experienced programmer?  
Thanks in advance,
Steve
12 years ago
seversol wrote:
Since it's been a few years since we've setup v1.6, is there any reason to not upgrade?  About how long does such a task take for an experienced programmer?  
Thanks in advance,
Steve

This really depends on which version you plan to upgrade to (2.3 is the latest) and how many modifications you've made. If you have made no modifications then you just need to run the SQL upgrade scripts for each version after 1.6 until you've reached the desired version and install the source code.

2.x is an entirely different platform. Any customizations will need to be rewritten and this includes the design. As far as which version is right for you I'm not sure and I have not worked with the 1.x systems. I do know that 2.x has a lot of great features, good forum support, active development, and a more updated architecture. I hope this helps some, maybe try and upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7 in a sandbox environment and see what the upgrade is like. If everything works do the same on your production environment and repeat the process until it is too costly to upgrade to the next version.
12 years ago
Thank you very much for the feedback.  I've forwarded your post to our programmer and we will have a conversation about it later.  v1.6 has been workable for us, but it is a little clunky with respect to number of screens you have to go through to get information (e.g., products purchased).  We've found the postage calculation to be a bit unwieldy and we would really like to take phone orders without having to login as the customer.  It appears that v2.x takes care of these issues and more.

Thanks again.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Steve
12 years ago
seversol wrote:
Thank you very much for the feedback.  I've forwarded your post to our programmer and we will have a conversation about it later.  v1.6 has been workable for us, but it is a little clunky with respect to number of screens you have to go through to get information (e.g., products purchased).  We've found the postage calculation to be a bit unwieldy and we would really like to take phone orders without having to login as the customer.  It appears that v2.x takes care of these issues and more.

Thanks again.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Check v1.9 which has most of the features available in v2.x and upgrading might be easier. V 2.x have a more advanced architecture and thus much more space for future growth but at the present do not offer much more functionality than v1.9.
12 years ago
Thank you very much.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.