Questions about selling downloadable products

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
It seems to be very difficult to get publishers' permission to sell downloads.

1. What are the good strategies to achieve this? (considering all the possible issues)

2. Maybe I can give each publiser the access to the orders of their products to get them willing to sell on my site. But I don't see a way to create a role that can only access a single publisher's orders. Is there any way to do this?

Any input would be great.
12 years ago
Hi odove,

The main reason why they wont deal with you is because they use distirbutors to sell there products, unless you have buying power like Microsoft, OnlLive, Amazon or even Play.com to which they do buy from the publisher direct as they have the massive turnover.

Your best bet is to start like any indie (independent retailer) is with the distributor, find out who supplies your competitors, google is great for this, once you have found them then you can start talking to them as to what you want to do and then negotiating with them on discount either from economy of scale or larger profit.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
12 years ago
Hi Garrie thanks a lot for replying.

The market I am dealing with is a nitch. The publishers in fact should be quite interested in using my website as a new marketing chanel for them. They are more than happy to give me the hard copies, but not the downloads. It looks like I can only sell my own downloadable stuff (or close friend's) unless I am as big as amazon or similar type of business. I can unerstand why this could be the case. Even if I am their distributor they still might not give me the downloads. But I know they could, just don't know how to make it happen.

I belive if they can have full control over the downloadable products (including order tracking) they would be doing it. But how I can achieve this with current nopcommerce? So far I think the best thing I can offer them is to manully send the order report. This doesn't seem to be good enough.
12 years ago
Hi odove.

The trouble with publishers is that they have the pick of the bunch on who they deal with, and i have came up against this many times as they just see you as a nobody.

'They are more than happy to give me the hard copies, but not the downloads'
I would start off selling the hardcopies and build up a rapport and a selling history.

then

'Even if I am their distributor they still might not give me the downloads. But I know they could, just don't know how to make it happen'
I would phone up or even go to them and have a meeting with them and ask about their partner programs instead of a distributor and get listed on their website aswell. One of there main worries is piracy and probably their Intellectual Property policys.

or

'I belive if they can have full control over the downloadable products (including order tracking) they would be doing it. But how I can achieve this with current nopcommerce? So far I think the best thing I can offer them is to manully send the order report. This doesn't seem to be good enough'.

Do they have a reseller program similar to a partner program, using your website and if they have an API that will connect to their order management software where as when someone places an order on your site the data is sent to theirs then they can send you or the buyer an email link for the download there by you getting a reseller commision.
12 years ago
odove wrote:

2. Maybe I can give each publiser the access to the orders of their products to get them willing to sell on my site. But I don't see a way to create a role that can only access a single publisher's orders. Is there any way to do this?

Any input would be great.

What you need is the Multistore option where each publisher has his own store. Check: https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/12968/multi-store-support-fro-nop-22-23.aspx
12 years ago
It involves international shipping so the cost is very high (for both customers and myself). Even though I have sold quite some hard copies from different publishers already but still hard to get the downloads going. That's why I am trying to come up with a good strategy to talk to them as well as giving all the possible access they can have in order to monitor the sales.

If I use multistore it has to be included in nop already. I can not deal with a testing one since I am not a programmar. It looks like it will take some time for that to happen.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.