Upgrade from 1.6 to 2.4 on GoDaddy

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I'm still on version 1.6.  At one point the upgrade to 1.7 via the GoDaddy one-click scripts failed and I ended up rolling back by restoring the database and copying all the files from a backup, so I think all functionality via automated scripts from their site is now broken and I'll have to do everything manually.

Do I understand that I need to install each update in order to get to 2.4?  I'm guessing the procedure will be different once I get to 2.0 since there's a separate upgrade script to download.  Can someone get me started in the right direction with the upgrades from 1.6 to 1.7 to 1.8 to 1.9 for starters?  Can I simply download each package without source code, extract it on my computer, then upload the files via FTP to the live web site and run the site URL with /INSTALL at the end of the URL?  I know I've seen instructions dealing with scripts and such, but I don't have access to that sort of thing (I don't think) hosting on GoDaddy.
12 years ago
Can someone offer some direction on this?
12 years ago
Anybody?  Help.  Please?
12 years ago
Why are you trying to upgrade in place? Better would be to clone your site into a staging area/subdomain and try upgrade there.

Is this purely a db problem?
12 years ago
For one thing, my hosting account only has one database connection allowed, so I can't create another to test the upgrade.  I could upgrade my plan if it were necessary though.  I'm simply looking for the easiest way to upgrade to the latest version that's all.  You asked if this was a DB problem.  Actually, there's not a problem I'm trying to solve.  I just want to upgrade.  

So my question remains:  Can I simply download each package without source code, extract it on my computer, then upload the files via FTP to the live web site and run the site URL with /INSTALL at the end of the URL?
12 years ago
I got this working, so I'll post here for others who might need the info.

I was able to do each upgrade, in order, from 1.6 to 1.9.

First, I made a backup of the folder where nopCommerce was installed.  Then I used the database tool from the GoDaddy control panel to make an SQL database backup.

I downloaded nopCommerce with no source and extracted the rar file to a folder on my computer.  I used the Java FTP client in the GoDaddy control panel to copy the contents of the download to the nop folder on the web site.  When it finished, I simply put in the URL for my site and it automatically knew to jump to the install folder and run the installer.

I selected upgrade, but oddly enough, had to check the box "don't check for an existing database".  It's also confusing because the option says "use an existing empty database" which is not really correct.  I want to used an existing POPULATED database, not an empty one.   Anyhow, use this option.  You can get your URL, database and username from the GoDaddy SQL configuration area and just past in the settings.

I've not attempted to go beyond 1.9 yet because it's a different process.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.