Performance generally

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I am a vb.net developer principally, but have done a fair bit of c# work.

I always work in an option strict environment to reduce the unhandled exception risk. This means that all objects are strongly typed and there is no late binding. It has distinct performance advantages.

Now, nopCommerce uses c#, which by default is option strict, allowing no implicit datatype conversions etc.

But I notice in the code that there is a heavy use of variants and dynamic objects, which avoids the usual c# strictness. What is the impact of this on performance?

Also, there seems to be a shortage of stored procedures, with all the data (virtually) selected within the asp. Is this wise? Would not the heavy data calls be better off being processed within the database?

There is a lot here, and everywhere, about nop commerce being a slow application, but it's architecture makes it very desirable. What are the plans within the nopCommerce team to spend some time working on performance?

kind regards
12 years ago
Ahhh.... I wish I knew as much about IoC and DI before I asked the questions above, as I do now. It all makes sense now.

Can't help think that on a app this size, quite small, we are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Might have been better off using the provider model. Anyway... aghh, so much to learn.

:)
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.