upgrade from 1.90 to 2.40

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
i want to upgrade from current 1.90 to 2.40 So i understand that i have to run upgrade script
for 2.00,2.10.2.20,2.30and 2.40 So i have to i have to install each version each time and run upgrade spript again and again???
12 years ago
Right. But you don't have to install each version each time. The only version that should be installed is 2.00 (code-first will create new tables because 2.00 was the first version which started using EF Code-First). Download each upgrade script [url=nopCommerce 2.00 (upgrade script) ]here[/url] and have a look at each Readme.txt files provided with them
12 years ago
If i have a tempsite up and running in version 2.40, and i just want to import customers and orders from my version 1.90 is it then possible just to export the customers and orders from 1.90 in excel format and simply adding them in the corrosponding columns in the right tables with sql server management studio. or is it possible to get a script that can do only that. i know it will b faster for simple to clip and pasta rater than finding a way to scripting it.

If i doi t with sql server management studio is there then anything that i must rmember, is there any tables that is dependent om the data from the dbo.customer and dbo.order. Iknow it might seem a bit backword to some hardcore .net guys, but that is by far the fastest way for someone that has no scripting experianse :-)

take care and thx.
12 years ago
all of that info never changes. Its in your database file which is the most important. Just remember when you upload new files NOT to add any data to your existing database.

You can upgrade all day long nut the data will remian the same if that make sense.

And No you don't need MS excel ever again.

Hope this helps
12 years ago
Hi Mike

Thx for your response.

what i ment was, if i have my 2.4 version up and running, and i just want to "update" dbo.customer and dbo.orders. sinse i dont hve that many data, i could simply copy the values form an excel file and drop it into the correct column in the tables customers and orders.. Just like i would if it was an old access db. That should be possible. is there any other data that i should add as well. is there any column that is dependend on dbo.customers and dbo.orders. :-)

I have the new datain a database that is located with my old webhotel.

If i could just fetch that handfujll of data this way i wont have any downtime so to speak. The only thing i miss on the new location is orders and customers. Everything else is in place.
12 years ago
wow, sounds complicated and time consuming.... just use the  

In MSSQLMS

go to your database directories.

TASK>Restore>From your old database (with the money in it....have a extra backup right)

make a new database with this info inside.  
Sometimes you can use the same database but its better to upgrade now.

For example: SQL Express is foobar with 08R2 it won't let you import because its too old and not supported. Keep that in mind when working with databases , its a few years then you sol. Keep that database up to date.

Afterward simply just select the tables you want to append to you new database. simple.

Now you have one great big database with old data and select new data. then task>shrink it

Takes some time its not hard but will save your hours later one down the road.

if you must use copy and paste (I've done it many times) make sure you check the dependencies for other tables you must also check. Right click on IE: DBO.Customers table and VIEW dependencies. Yeap all those possibly need to be updated by hand. Forget one field..errors.

happy trails

Mike
12 years ago
Hi again Mike

My old DB is still in version 1.9 and i can see that the column ID is called customerID in the old 1.9 version and only ID in the new. So how would i be abnble to import when the columns are of different names.

The dependisies are they not located only in the column and not in the data input into the columns.

What i had planned was simply to export the old db  onto an excel spreadsheat and then copy the data into the original datatable which is opend in sql server management studio, then i would paste the value of customrID into the ID column. Username into username and so on. I believe i wont be loosing any table formatting this way, since i paste into a table that is formatted by the new version of nopcommerce. Or am i totally wrong. I know it might be faster the other way to one that know exactly how to.

BTW thx for taking your time to give me advice :-)
12 years ago
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/15724/step-by-step-upgrade-instuctions-in-pdf-how-to-upgrade-nop-versions.aspx

Your old database has nothing to do with nop v numbers. Only the tables are upgraded plus a few queries maybe something else. Read ver changes to specfic files.

You need to know the name and LOCATION of your database?

It's .mdb file You must know it if you want to us excel.

Do a windows search for .mdf on your entire compute if you don't..

That's all you need is the whereabouts of that file.

Create new database > select the old one (the one you found) and retsore thats it.

Or you can just copy and paste .mdf into the exact location but you will need to edit your path to the file.

If you still have problems I'll create a simple DB upgrade pdf but later on...

I know it seems hard but once you see it its so simple.

heres one link there are many on how to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjuliSy5RA

Mike
12 years ago
yes, you can "map your field name" in customers table to the required field name customer format.

For now it would be faster just to make the database
then just copy and paste the selected fields if its not that much data.

You are correct but don't do this again. :) When you have lots of data its a PITA.

There are other ways but KISS keep it simple. The above works fast too.
12 years ago
Hi! I'm confused. You say:

a.m. wrote:
Right. But you don't have to install each version each time. The only version that should be installed is 2.00 (code-first will create new tables because 2.00 was the first version which started using EF Code-First). Download each upgrade script [url=nopCommerce 2.00 (upgrade script) ]here[/url] and have a look at each Readme.txt files provided with them

But here in Step 3 it says:

"You have to upgrade stepwise. For example, if your current version is 2.00 and the latest available version is 2.30, then you have to upgrade to 2.10, then to 2.20, and then to 2.30. So download the required upgrade scripts from our Downloads page."

I've inherited a site on 1.90 and it desperately needs to be upgraded (stack trace errors upon adding to cart!) but I don't know whether I need to upgrade one at a time, or whether I need source code or not. I feel like an idiot, but I've never done this before nor do I know how.

Thanks!!!
Christy
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.