Will upgrading from 1.9 to 2.5 create less stress on SQL Server?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
I currently have a production website running version 1.9 and hosted on Personal Class ASP of Arvixe with SQL Server 2008. I only have approximately 300 products in my website but these past few months I noticed a lot of timeouts occuring randomly throughout the day when viewing my website. Looking at the logfile, the error is SQL Timeout. I noticed that if and when the SQL Timeouts are occuring, they only appear on the pages where the products table are being called via SQL whether it be on the back-end or the front-end. In other words, loading the manufacturers, categories, log file, and other tables load successfully but the product table triggers a timeout. After a few hours, the website loads fine again for all pages. I am assuming that the SQL Server is loaded and cannot, for one reason or another, accomodate any request containing the product table. Whether the stored procedure or the database schema containing the tables is not optimized I do not know since I never did look in the stored procedure of the database of version 1.9.
If I upgrade to version 2.5 using the same database content, will this create less stress on the SQL Server? Are the database schema and stored procedures a lot more optimized as compared to version 1.9? The additional features list in version 2.5 are really remarkable and kudos to the nopCommerce team for that, but as of the moment I actually can do without these added features. The main factor that would make me upgrade is more for optimization, faster loading times and hopefully less SQL Timeouts. Thanks in advance.
12 years ago
msgarcia0215 wrote:
If I upgrade to version 2.5 using the same database content, will this create less stress on the SQL Server? Are the database schema and stored procedures a lot more optimized as compared to version 1.9?

Yes. Just give it a try.
12 years ago
Just to let you know based on past experience with Arvixe, it is their platform that is timing out and not the NOP Commerce.  I had a social network that timed out every morning for no apparent reason.  Arvixe blamed everyone with the exception of themselves.  I would suggest you move the web site to a better ISP.

300 Products is nothing (no insult intended) on a SQL Server and I believe it has nothing to do with NOP, you can take the pain and do the upgrade but you have to do all of the upgrades from 1.9 to 2.5.
12 years ago
Yes, I agree with Rbaroniunas.   I was at Arvixe as well and seems like a great place for simple sites.  I just moved my NopCommerce site to VPS Cloud server and is running much better.   Helps that I could get two VPS systems (one for web and one for SQL Server) for under $50 a month (for both).
12 years ago
lleemon wrote:
  I just moved my NopCommerce site to VPS Cloud server and is running much better.   Helps that I could get two VPS systems (one for web and one for SQL Server) for under $50 a month (for both).

Hi lleemon:
Could you please send me the url of Vps Clud so I can get more info about their services?
12 years ago
Cloud VPS
12 years ago
lleemon wrote:
Thank you
11 years ago
eadameg wrote:
Cloud VPS
Thank you

Does anyone else use seversanddomains?  web reviews are not very pleasant.

I just got an account to try it for myself, will update..
11 years ago
I am also interested to have actual reviews.
11 years ago
An update of the VPS at SND, it does at times go down which takes all my sites down.   It isn't what I like and am looking for a possible new solution.   SND did come out with a more dedicated VPS rather then the shared VPS.   Guess it's something with hardware based vs software based so a little more reliable but it's a little costly so right now trying to determine if the minor outages are worth staying put.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.