Product Attribute Help

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
12 years ago
Hi All

I am working with Product Attributes but I must be missing something. I want to create a new product attribute called Department, as my system is an internal ordering system all items that will be added to the cart must be assigned a department.

My department attribute will be a Drop Down Box with 8 or 9 items only problem I have is I can only asign the values / items when editing the product variant attributes which means this list only applies to that product variant.

Now I know I am not alone in the fact that carts may have a Product Attribute that has to be selected that is applicable to all products in the store, is there a way to create a standard product attribute that I can apply to any product variant without having to manually type in the values each time.

I thought this would be basic functionality but as I say I am new to this system and I think I am just missing a step.

Cheers

Dougie
12 years ago
1druid1 wrote:
Hi All

I am working with Product Attributes but I must be missing something. I want to create a new product attribute called Department, as my system is an internal ordering system all items that will be added to the cart must be assigned a department.

My department attribute will be a Drop Down Box with 8 or 9 items only problem I have is I can only asign the values / items when editing the product variant attributes which means this list only applies to that product variant.

Now I know I am not alone in the fact that carts may have a Product Attribute that has to be selected that is applicable to all products in the store, is there a way to create a standard product attribute that I can apply to any product variant without having to manually type in the values each time.

I thought this would be basic functionality but as I say I am new to this system and I think I am just missing a step.

Cheers

Dougie

The only way to get this out of the box is that you create a "template product" whose variant has the attributes you need. Then when you create a new prodduct insted of adding a new one use the copy option. he new product will have the same attributes (and columns ) as the "template product"
12 years ago
Hi

Thanks for the reply, yeah I did look into doing that way, unfortuantly the second drop down box has a list of codes that change quite regulary which means I would have to go through every product and variant (over 1000 off) and manually edit the values to match the changes. I honestly thought that this option would be in the basic system as I thought it would be a popular request.

I may have to look into the SQL tables and the relationships between all the product attribute tables and see if I can change them to do what I want, I am a SQL Database desinger unfortuantly my c# coding and VS Studio experience is very minimal if I have to do any coding changes within the program
12 years ago
1druid1 wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, yeah I did look into doing that way, unfortuantly the second drop down box has a list of codes that change quite regulary which means I would have to go through every product and variant (over 1000 off) and manually edit the values to match the changes. I honestly thought that this option would be in the basic system as I thought it would be a popular request.

I may have to look into the SQL tables and the relationships between all the product attribute tables and see if I can change them to do what I want, I am a SQL Database desinger unfortuantly my c# coding and VS Studio experience is very minimal if I have to do any coding changes within the program

This extension is what you need
12 years ago
Hi

Sorry was on holiday for a few days, the link to the add in seems perfect for what I am wanting to do, unfortuantly as this is a test system the company is not willing to spend Money on it, we have a system in place that uses a Lotus Notes Database although very outdated and cumbersome, but as its in place the company wont spend money on a new system.

Thanks for the link though.
12 years ago
Hi

Quick update, I have managed to change the SQL backend to allow me to do what I want, although its not a pretty option as I have to do some manual editing on the Tables instead of the Frontend.
11 years ago
have you resolved it??

can you give me some suggestion ... i've the same problem ....
11 years ago
in v1.90 i can make default attributes for all products ....

in v2.50 i must made it for every product ... isn't possible to made it generic like v1.90???

thanks
10 years ago
see:
https://www.nopcommerce.com/boards/t/12955/import-product-specification-attributes.aspx#121841
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.