Razor Syntax HElp

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
Hi All,
in the HomepageProducts.cshtml file it's calling an extension method called Html.DataList which has a signature of:

public static IHtmlString DataList<T>(this HtmlHelper helper, IEnumerable<T> items, int columns,
            Func<T, HelperResult> template)
            where T : class
        {
}

@(Html.DataList<ProductModel>(Model.Products, 2,
            @<div class="item-box">
                @Html.Partial("_ProductBox", @item)
            </div>
                ))

just wondering if someone can explain how   @<div class="item-box">@Html.Partial("_ProductBox", @item)</div>

is a Func<T, HelperResult> ??

doesn't really make sense.. I'd love to ultimately strip the <div class="item-box"> out and just have
@(Html.DataList<ProductModel>(Model.Products, 2,
            @Html.Partial("_ProductBox", @item)
            ))

im not sure what the @ and markup does... i've seen @:

but not just @<div>

Thanks,
Tom
11 years ago
You should be able to strip out the [ <div class="item-box"> ... </div> ], shouldn't cause any issues. Have you tried it ? :)
11 years ago
yes.. I tried @(Html.DataList<ProductModel>(Model.Products, 2, @Html.Partial("_ProductBox", @item)))

and get Cannot Convert from MvcHtmlString to System.Func ... ... ...
11 years ago
Here is a Razor Syntax Quick Reference guide that I think we should all keep saved in our Bookmarks. I think the [ @ ] in front of the <div> tag is just to let Razor know that what follows is not C# code, but text/markup.
11 years ago
nice thank you for the guide.. but yes i have no idea why it is then not working if i remove the markup!
11 years ago
Try this:

Remove the un-needed markup, but instead wrap it with the Razor tags:

<text></text>
11 years ago
PERFECT! thanks so much! would still love an explanation of the Func keyword for that example!
11 years ago
Ah Excellent, and you're welcome :)

As far as I'm aware, the code:

Func<T, HelperResult>

I just think of it is just like a regular function, but short version. You give it something, and it gives you something back. In this case, you give it [ T ], and it returns a HelperResult object.

Check this out.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.