Upgrading from 1.6 to lastest version (maybe)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
We're thinking of upgrading from Version 1.6

Our first concern is that our server is runing .net 2.0

If we upgrade the server to .net 4.0 will NOP 1.6 continue to run?

Thanks

Chris
11 years ago
chrisod wrote:
We're thinking of upgrading from Version 1.6

Our first concern is that our server is runing .net 2.0

If we upgrade the server to .net 4.0 will NOP 1.6 continue to run?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris.

1. Never ever ever ever ever upgrade a production website.

2. Take a copy of the website - put it on a development server running .net4.0 and see if it works. This is now your development website.

3. Perform the upgrade on the development website.

4. Realise how much utter pain you just avoided by following these instructions and come back here and thank me. ;)

5. Repeat steps 2-3 till you figure out how to do the upgrade successfully.

Also;-

If you have made any source code changes to 1.6 then you will probably lose them. Style sheet changes may also be impacted.

I would look at upgrading in stages;-

1.6 to 1.7 (entity frameworks introduced)

1.7 to 1.9 (last winforms version)

1.9 to 2.0 (MVC introduced)

2.0 to 2.5 (last but one version of nop) {personally I prefer to use the last but one version unless there is a deal-breaking feature in the latest version}

2.5 to 2.6 (latest version)

This way if one of the upgrades totally screws your development site you can either use a lower version number or fix the problems at that point rather than arriving at 2.6 with a site that doesn't work with little clue of what has caused the apocalypse.  

HTH

Dave

edit to add

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever upgrade a production website.
11 years ago
Hi Dave

Absolutely NEVER up grade a production site. That why I'm setting up an old laptop (Windows 7) to do the upgrade.

Thanks for the info.

Consider yourself thanked.

Chris
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.