Quick Enity Update From Devlop to live Test

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
Hi all

Right I'm updating the enity by adding a new feild in the db and pulling it through. (I know how to do)

My current process is

Development Source code ASP Dev server - test
IIS inhouse test site - test with same connection string
[Live Web Server - Live Database]
Live Web Server Test site

So my quick question is

When I create this new feild pull it through to the View on the ASP dev server.

I need to replicate and copy this process on the deployed Live test site on my Db on my collicated server.

Is it just a case of creating the feild on the web server Db and bring the DLL from the deployed bin on my local machine to the live server.

I don't want to reinstall on the live server.

Kind Regards

Richard
11 years ago
wertyuio1 wrote:
Is it just a case of creating the feild on the web server

Generally, yes.
Look at the upgrade.sql scripts in the \upgradescripts folder of the source code.  

For example:

--Add 'StartDateUtc' and 'EndDateUtc' columns to [News] table
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM syscolumns WHERE id=object_id('[News]') and NAME='StartDateUtc')
BEGIN
  ALTER TABLE [News]
  ADD [StartDateUtc] datetime NULL
END
GO

As for DLLs, etc.  I think it's best to use a tool (I like WebMatrix), to push the changes to the destination.  just to be sure you're not missing something.
11 years ago
Hi New York

Thank you for the reply...

I have successfully been able to transfer and update the styling themes and multiple views.

If you don't mind me asking why is it be best practice to use a tool like Webmatrix. I have been using a vpn connection with mapped drivers which I have been using to push updates across.

But if you have the time to explain how the webmatrix would help would be grand. I personal thought it was a Microsoft tool for downloading software.. (Don't know)

There was one issue I found when I installed the deployable live(Test) site I had created a new ProductTemplate. On the development server the record was held in that database and all products where mapped to that view.

When I installed the Deployable Website up to the server with a fresh database the record wasn't in the table producttemplate  so I had to reinsert the record. The corressponding CSHTML file was in deployable file though.

I'm just thinking is this a normal occurence on fresh db instal or I did I miss something.

Kind regards

Richard.
11 years ago
wertyuio1 wrote:
...why is it be best practice to use a tool ...

A tool (even Diff) will compare files source vs. destination.  Any differences - updates, deletes, new files - are automatically handled.  I.e. the tool synchronizes automatically

wertyuio1 wrote:
... with a fresh database the record wasn't in the table producttemplate ...

If by "fresh database" you mean you re-ran the install, and it created tables in the DB, then yes, any records created in your dev would not be in a new install.
11 years ago
Thank you New Nork

Highly appreciated I will look it into a tool that will do this.

Richard
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.