State/Province. County in the UK

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.
11 years ago
I think this must have been asked before,  but I can't find it................

I am UK based, and the State/Province field would be better,  for me,  if it said 'County' as well.  Can I alter it to include County??
11 years ago
For what exactly?

Sorry paws, but several of your questions have been pretty vague, in just the first pages of this forum. Please explain in details so that the community can answer you as quickly as possible, in case we already know the answer to it. Thanks.
11 years ago
pawsplaza wrote:
I think this must have been asked before,  but I can't find it................

I am UK based, and the State/Province field would be better,  for me,  if it said 'County' as well.  Can I alter it to include County??

In admin>configuration>language>edit (example in admin demo) you can find (with help of funnel tool) and change the string resources which contain the value "State/Province"
11 years ago
I apologise for being vague.  I am not a programmer or a web designer,  I am a business woman starting up an online store.  I have a web designer but he seems unable to sort out some issues I have with the web site.  I have used these boards and often found the answer myself.  I have often found I would need to alter the code,  which I cannot do, and once I have found that out,  I move on to my next 'problem'.
So,  apologies if my questions are not technical.

In this instance, I was just hoping, when customers enter their address, I could have 'County' as well as 'State/Province', so it could read 'County/State/Province'   as in the UK 'State' and 'Province' are not relevant,  we have Counties.  I wasn't over bothered,  but  have had a customer complain already.

I can't promise my questions will not sometimes be idiotic,  but it is the only way I will learn about Nopcommerce
11 years ago
pawsplaza wrote:
I apologise for being vague.  I am not a programmer or a web designer,  I am a business woman starting up an online store.  I have a web designer but he seems unable to sort out some issues I have with the web site.  I have used these boards and often found the answer myself.  I have often found I would need to alter the code,  which I cannot do, and once I have found that out,  I move on to my next 'problem'.
So,  apologies if my questions are not technical.

In this instance, I was just hoping, when customers enter their address, I could have 'County' as well as 'State/Province', so it could read 'County/State/Province'   as in the UK 'State' and 'Province' are not relevant,  we have Counties.  I wasn't over bothered,  but  have had a customer complain already.

I can't promise my questions will not sometimes be idiotic,  but it is the only way I will learn about Nopcommerce

Hi Paw:
Please read my instructions above and you will be able to change the text "State/Province"  to "County", "County/State/Province" or whatever you want. Go to Administration, then Configuration, then Language and then select Edit and with the funnel tool seleect those strings whose value "contains" "province" and then change them to whatever you want.
11 years ago
Thank you for your help.

Under admin>configuration>
I don't have language,  maybe as I am using 1.9

It is not a major issue, I can live with 'State/Province'

thank you very much for answering and trying to help
11 years ago
pawsplaza wrote:
Thank you for your help.

Under admin>configuration>
I don't have language,  maybe as I am using 1.9

It is not a major issue, I can live with 'State/Province'

thank you very much for answering and trying to help

Oh. Don't give up Paws :=)  In v1.9 you can do the string changes in admin>content management>localization>search resources values = "province"
11 years ago
Oh you superstar Eduardo.
Thank you so much. Worked perfectly.

You have made me look good to a customer!
x
11 years ago
hi paws,

in no way did i mean any disrespect with my last post. you are doing the right thing by coming to the community which is what your designer should have been doing to begin with as well. no question is idiotic because you simply don't know how to do it.

it's just better for the community to better grasp your entire situation so that we don't have to fish for what exactly it is you are doing. i do hope you succeed in your endeavors.
11 years ago
Is there a way to then make State/Province a free text field rather than a drop down list? Or is it stored as an ID in the database (ie this would then be a fair bit of work to change, rather than a theme/UI only change). I could key all the UK counties but really it seems it would be a lot easier if the user could just type it in.. as othewise you need to keep a database up to date of al the counties/provinces, for each country you ship to.

It's worth noting that in the UK, the Royal Mail (and Couriers) do not use the County for anything. They go only on Postcode only so, it's not vitally important anyway.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.